Chapter 31

June 13th, 1997

Mariah was stressed, having had another nightmare. After seeing Alison at the trap house, she tried to slow down on her drinking. However, that only left Mariah with few options to deal with her problems. Her emotions were going haywire and she didn't have anyone she could talk to about everything that was going on in her life.

There was a church about twenty minutes away from the condo. Opting to pay a visit, she went upstairs to change her clothes. She threw on a black wig and a pair of Michael's sunglasses and changed out of Michael's button down into a loose shirt and some cargo pants to stay comfortable, since she was bloated. She called Wayne to take her to the church. He arrived fifteen minutes later.

She stepped outside and Wayne helped her into the car.

"Where did you want me to take you?" He asked.

She sighed. "There's a church close by. We pass it all the time...I can't remember what it's called though."

"St. Peter's?"

She nodded. "I think that's it."

Wayne pulled off from the house while Mariah tried to relax. Her thoughts were racing. Tears welled upon the sides of her eyes. She couldn't even pinpoint one particular thing that was bothering her.

What's going on with me?

She wiped the tears from her face and sighed.

"You okay?" Wayne asked.

Mariah nodded. "I'm fine. Thanks."

Soon the car came to a stop in front of the imposing cathedral. Mariah stepped out of the car and walked through the wooden doors into the chapel. The room was nearly all white except for the ornate black tiling and the statue of Christ in the center of the room. She went over to one of the aisles and knelt down before the formidable sculpture.

Mariah made the sign of the cross and clasped her hands together. "Heavenly Father, I ask your guidance in these troubling times. My husband is hurting and I don't know how to help him. I need your direction so that I can be a good wife to him and protect him from the people around him that don't have his best interests at heart."

She paused. "I pray that my children are at peace with you, Lord. I understand that it was all a part of your divine plan. I ask forgiveness for my sins and transgressions. I pray that my sister is able to to heal and be free of her addiction and that our family can come together. In Jesus name, amen."

She crossed herself and knelt down a little longer, bowing her head and allowing the soothing environment to ease her mind.

June 16th, 1997

Mariah shot up in bed, panting as she tried to make sense of her dreams. She didn't understand why she kept having dreams about Michael as a young boy. It seemed like her dreams were getting more intense since she had been in New York, but she couldn't understand why.

She felt some type of kinship with the young Michael. He was constantly abused in her dreams by some older woman and she-

Tommy...

Mariah threw the covers off and ran to the window, slamming it down before bolting into the living room. She quickly shut the windows and locked them.

"Mariah, what's going on?" Pat asked, sleepily rubbing her eyes.

Mariah ignored her, running over to the other window to lock it. Pat walked over and grabbed her.

"Mariah, what is it?" She asked.