Chapter 13

December 18th, 1996

The reception was starting and everyone started taking their seats as the bridal party walked in and took their seats at the main table. Janet glanced over at Marlon, who was a little glassy eyed from the cocktail hour, and prayed he didn't say anything stupid when it came time to give his best man speech.

"Presenting Mr and Mrs Michael Joseph Jackson."

Michael and Mariah entered the tent hand-in-hand and Michael led her to the middle of the floor for their first dance. Mariah had picked You and I by Stevie Wonder which Janet had agreed with, it was a beautiful song and it was hard to go wrong with a Stevie Wonder song.

Latoya leaned over to her. "They are so beautiful, I think I'm gonna cry again."

"I'm trying to hard not to cry. Like soon as I saw Mike look like he was gonna cry, I had to look away." Janet said.

Latoya nodded. "I'm surprised he didn't cry. Mike's always been a crybaby."

Janet laughed. "I think he was so shocked...like he didn't know what to do."

Janet watched them dance for a little; they were singing the words of the song to each other, almost as if they were oblivious to everyone else in the room.

"They look so in love." Janet said.

Latoya tapped her. "You know what I just thought about?"

"What?"

Latoya smirked. "Mike's gotta go under her dress."

Janet covered her mouth to stop herself from cackling. "You're right. I forgot all about the garter, oh that's gonna be hilarious."

Marlon leaned over. "What are ya'll talking about?"

"Michael. We just remembered that he's gotta go up and under her dress to get the garter and you know how Mike is about that stuff." Latoya explained.

Marlon laughed. "I think he said he wasn't gonna do it."

"Oh no, he's doing it. I'm gonna make him if he doesn't." Janet said.

The song ended so they clapped while Mariah and Michael took their seats in between Janet and Marlon. Mariah's father then took the floor.

"Hello, for those who don't know, I'm Mariah's father. Um, I'd like to thank all of you for coming out tonight to celebrate with our family. " He paused. "Michael, I like you so you can borrow my daughter, but I want you to know there's no return policy, you're stuck with her now."

Michael glanced at Mariah and chuckled. "Oh, don't I know it."

"Congratulations to the young couple, hopefully you two stay together for many, many years and have a healthy, productive marriage. Now everyone remain seated, we'll be having the food served shortly."

December 18th, 1996

Mariah was in a state of pure euphoria; she was floating on air and despite the large group of people, she felt like she and Michael were the only two people in the room. If someone had told her six years ago that she'd be married to Michael Jackson, she would've laughed in their face.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked.

She shrugged. "I'm thinking about you. I didn't think that we'd get here."

"Well here we are." He placed a hand over hers. "You are my wife and it's going to stay that way."

Mariah would've grinned wider if she could; she had been smiling and giggling since the ceremony had ended, not that she could help it. She couldn't remember another time in her life where she was completely content.