Chapter 55

March 16th, 1998

"Michael!" Mariah called out. "Michael, where are you?"

She finished doing laundry and went to look for Michael around the house. He was with her earlier, feeding the babies, but went to go put them to sleep and never returned.

"Michael, baby, where are you?"

She walked into their room and scanned it. No sign of him.

She opened the bathroom door. "Michael?"

Nothing.

She walked over to the sink and picked up a handwritten post-it note.

Mariah, I love you.

She raised an eyebrow, pulling her head back.

She opened the closet door to find the walls had been covered in post-it notes, each with a different message on it. Some of the messages were just words, others were little drawings.

What in the world?

She pulled a note nearest the light switch and studied it. It was a picture of a ghastly beast surrounding a small deer.

She furrowed her brows.

She went to the back of the room and picked up a note that read:

Regret.

Regret.

She investigated the rest of the notes on the walls. Some words stood out to her: Blue. Unbreakable. Escape. Anger. Butterflies. Don't. Invincible. Enough.

What is this stuff?

"Michael!" Mariah yelled.

She opened the door to the toilet and he wasn't there.

She darted over to the linen closet and opened the door.

He wasn't there.

She ran over to the storage room, opened the door, and-

"Michael what are you doing?" She asked.

Michael stood in the tiny, cramped space staring at the wall. His eyes were red as if he'd bled from them.

"Michael what's going on?" She asked. "Why are you in here? What are these little notes?"

He shook his head and brought the heels of his palms up to his eyes.

"Can I leave?"

She slowly nodded her head.

Was he...?

"Michael you don't have to do this." She explained.

Trying to catch his breath from being cramped in the storage room, he explained, "Yes I do. I have to feel what you felt."

She put her hand over her eyes. "No you don't baby. It's okay. I'm okay."

He stared at her with sad eyes.

"It's not though."

March 19th, 1998

Dr. Powell let Michael know that it would soon be time to start the twins on baby food with their milk, so he decided to make a trip to the grocery store. He brought Noelle out with him. Nicole was sleeping when he left.

He found the baby food aisle and started looking at the jars. Noelle watched him curiously.

Michael picked up a jar and looked at it before waving it in front of Noelle. "What do you think about peas?"