Chapter 18

January 18th, 1997

Michael was in his office trying to figure out how he was going to structure his album. Because of Pat, Michael had to come up with an idea on a whim to hasten the completion of his album. Michael promised Tommy an album by May in exchange for a reduction in Pat's ten million dollar payback. Michael negotiated the price down to three million dollars--only some of which he would pay. It's not that he didn't have the full three million, he just wasn't too keen on letting Pat get off easily. She was going to have to pay a portion of the money herself.

He picked up the phone and dialed his mother-in-law's number and waited for her to answer.

"Hello?"

He cleared his throat. "Pat, it's Michael."

"Oh- Michael! Did you speak to Tommy?" Pat asked, frantically.

"Yeah, and we managed to come up with a deal."

"Oh good, good, good. So what did he say?"

"He still wants three million." Michael explained. "But I'm not paying the full amount."

"Well I don't have three million, Michael."

"I'll pay one million, but I'm not doing anymore than that. This is your mess."

Pat sighed. "The only way I can come up with two million is if I sell the house."

"Then you might want to look into that." Michael responded, nonchalantly.

"But where would I stay then?"

Michael thought for a moment. He couldn't allow his mother-in-law to be homeless, even if she was the root cause of his wife's issues. "Well I can let you stay at Neverland until you find somewhere else to stay. But you'd need to work on getting your life together and getting out in the meantime."

"Mariah wouldn't want me there."

"Well it's my house. Listen Pat, I'm telling you your options. Either that or you better get good at dodging bullets. He wants his money before May."

It was quiet on Pat's end. And in a moment: "So I need two million?"

"Yeah, two million. I'll pay the other part when you pay him."

"Fine. I'll call you when I figure out what I'm going to do."

"Alright."

"Thank you, Michael."

He hung up the phone shaking his head. Pat just knew that he would pay off the full amount, and normally he would've, but he was just as angry with Pat as Mariah was. The only difference between his disposition and Mariah's was that he wasn't going to leave Pat at Tommy's mercy--he had already made that mistake once.

Knock. Knock.

He looked up from his brooding and Mariah was leaning against the door frame.

"Babe, you've been in here all day. I think you need a break." She said.

Michael shook his head. "I have to finish up in here first."

"But I'm bored." She walked in and straddled him. "Why don't we have lunch and then relax for a couple hours?"

He gave her a light kiss on the lips. "Fine. But after that, I really need to get this work done."

"That's fine, but you gotta put in some work first."

January 21st, 1997

Mariah sat at the edge of the pool, casually dipping her feet in the water. She heard the door open behind her and she smirked, thinking it was Michael. As the footsteps drew closer Mariah glanced over her shoulder only to see Tommy approaching. He charged towards her and she couldn't run away fast enough. He shoved her and she went flying into the pool. She tried to swim to the top, but Tommy caught her by the neck, holding her under the water while she struggled against him...