Chapter 99

February 15th, 2000

Mariah yawned before flipping the TV to the world news channel. She'd finally settled in her hotel in Milan to prepare for her next show in a few days. Elizabeth was sleeping beside her, worn out from all the moving around.

“Singer Mariah Carey was spotted today in Milan gearing up for her second performance on her Rainbow World Tour. The tour launched just yesterday in Belgium, to promote Mariah’s recent album of the same title.”

Mariah rested her head down in her hand while the anchors went on about the tour. That was, until-

“We also got our first glimpse at the soon-to-be thirty year old’s third child with husband Michael Jackson.”

Mariah rolled her eyes as a few pictures of her carrying Elizabeth from the car into the hotel flashed on the screen. Though she had tried her best to cover her daughter up, the photos clearly showed most of Elizabeth's face.

Soon, the anchors began debating which parent the baby looked more like.

“I don't know, Lisa, this one looks like a carbon copy of Mariah.” The male anchor noted.

Mariah raised an eyebrow.

He continued. “She's honestly just looks nothing like Michael.”

Mariah looked back over at Elizabeth, thinking the same as she ran her hand over Elizabeth's hair.

“Well, there were multiple rumors all stating that she was possibly stepping out on her husband. And this could be proof.” The female anchor, Lisa, speculated.
The anchors went into a discussion about Mariah’s possible escapades--Mariah feeling herself sink deeper into the couch.

Ring.

Ring.

Mariah looked over at her work phone with a frown.

Oh God. Not him.

“Hello?”

“Don't you hello me bitch! Are you seeing this shit?” Tommy shouted.

She took a deep breath. “Yes, I'm watching the news...”

“Who does the kid belong to?” He questioned.

She lowered her head in shame.

I don’t know…

“Mariah!” Tommy shouted. “Answer me right fucking now!”

“I’m not sure-”

“So you didn't even get a test on that brat?” He snapped.

“No, how would I even-”

“I don't give a fuck how you do it! All I know is you better figure something out or you’re gonna have a-”

Click.

Mariah threw down the phone, pulling her knees to her chest. She contemplated his words--partially afraid, partially angry.

He’s not gonna do shit.

Ring.

Ring.

Mariah glanced between the phone and Elizabeth. The more she looked at her daughter, the less sure of herself she became. In a split second decision, she snatched Elizabeth off the couch, waking her daughter in the process, and ran out into the hall.

Wayne, who was outside keeping watch, jumped up from his chair and grabbed her shoulder. “Are you okay?”

Mariah glanced down at a crying Elizabeth, then back up at Wayne. “We need to leave.”