Chapter 83

April 3rd, 1999

“Damn so you just going all the way through with it, huh?” Mariah asked. She’d been bored, lying in bed all day while Michael spent a personal day with the twins. She decided to call Janet, who was always a decidedly entertaining companion.

Janet sighed. “Yeah. I got too. I just can’t take it anymore. All this instability, up-down, back and forth--he’s taking me through some changes.”

Mariah sucked the cheese product off her fingers from her Cheetos whenever Janet paused. Noticing the crumbs on her stomach, she stood up and dusted her velvet blouse.

“So what are you gonna do now?” Mariah asked as she walked out of the bedroom and over to the housekeeper’s quarters.

Janet went quiet for a moment.

“Janet?”

No response.

“Jan?”

Flush.

“What the fuck?”

“My bad girl, what’s up?” Janet asked.

Mariah heard a faucet running in Janet’s background.

She grimaced. “Were you just in the bathroom with me on the phone?”

Janet burst out laughing.

“Ah hell, Janet.” Mariah complained as she searched the area for the main house head maid, Fallon. She needed the master suite floor swept after having spilled Cheeto crumbs everywhere.

“Why do you always go to the bathroom with me on the phone?”

“As if you don’t be on the toilet when you talking to me...” Janet snarkily responded.

Mariah rolled her eyes, as she walked through the housekeeper’s quarters. She’d never really gone in that area of the house, so she decided to take inventory.

Janet began blabbering in the background about god-knows-what, prompting Mariah to completely tune her out.

She walked through Fallon’s living room area. On the coffee table laid a messy stack of newspapers. She also noticed a magazine on one of the side tables with her face on it. The cover read: ¡La hermana de Mariah contará todo en nueva exposición!

La hermana de Mariah? My sister? Contara...todo...uhh- What that shit mean? I shoulda paid more attention to daddy.

She placed the magazine back down onto the table--accidentally knocking over the pack of cigarettes next to it.

Shit.

She picked up the cigarettes, noticing heavy the pack felt. A strong mint scent radiated from the package. She took a deep breath.

“Mariah?” Janet called out, eliciting a slight jump from Mariah.

“Yeah girl, I hear you.”

“Aw, just making sure. What are you doing?” Janet asked.

Mariah stared at the pack of cigarettes. Before she began singing as a serious career, Mariah was a regular smoker. It was difficult for her to go completely cold turkey back then, but she knew she needed to in order to preserve her voice.

“I’m looking for Fallon. My room is a damn mess.” She responded, distractedly.

“She better be there. Yo ass don’t need to be cleaning nothing.”

Mariah opened the cigarette box, taking in more of the minty scent before quickly shutting it. “Yeah, I think she’s taking a smoke break.”

“Well hell, tell her to stay out there for as long as she need. She don’t need to be coming around you smelling like damn cigarette smoke. You’re pregnant, you don’t need that.”