Chapter 45

December 18th, 1997

"Mariah..." Michael whispered, lovingly.

"Mariah..." He said again, this time with a little more power in his voice.

Mariah slept through his attempts.

Michael took the tip of his fingers and trailed up her arm to her neck. She immediately jerked up, eyes still closed, and smacked his hand.

"Ow!" He shouted. "What was that for?"

"I thought you were an intruder!" She exclaimed, her tone sorrowful.

Michael laughed, his hand still stinging. "You really think I'd let someone break in here?"

"Well no." She said. "I'm just, you know, on high alert."

Michael chuckled. "Okay well it's time for you to wake up."

"Okay let me tell my babies that." Mariah rested her head back on the pillow. She nearly fell asleep again.

"What are you doing?" Michael asked, shaking her awake.

She jolted awake again. "Huh-wha? Oh, I communicate with them through sleep."

Michael smiled, shaking his head. "Baby you have to get up. It's December Eighteenth."

She popped her eyes wide open. "Oh my god, is it really?"

She quickly took notice of Michael's get up. He was wearing red pants reminiscent of his Thriller short film outfit, a long red and white jacket with a black and gold belt atop, a fake white beard, and a Christmas hat.

She chuckled at him.

He smiled back. "Yes it is."

She struggled up off the bed, getting a better look at him.

"Happy first anniversary-" She started. "But why are you dressed like skinny Santa fresh from a Boyz II Men music video?"

Michael giggled and stood up, ignoring her question. "Happy anniversary to you too, baby."

He pulled her in for a hug, trying to get her close with the bubble they had between them.

She smiled, still seemingly confused by his apparel.

"Come on!" He exclaimed as he pulled away from her.

He grabbed her hand and walked her down the stairs into the living room. Michael lit the fireplace and opened all the shades, giving off a relaxing winter holiday vibe.

"Oh my god!" Mariah shouted.

As she maneuvered around the room, she took note of all the decoration supplies all over the floor, neatly organized. The two had been so busy as of late, they neglected to decorate their new home for Christmas.

"I know how much you love decorating for Christmas, and I figured that since this will be our last child-less Christmas, we could have a decorating date." Michael explained.

Mariah beamed at him. "This is so thoughtful, babe! I'm so excited."

He smiled. "I'm glad you like it."

"Wait, do I smell cookies?"

Michael chuckled. "Yes you do. Fresh out of the oven." He picked up a tray behind him that held a plate of fresh baked chocolate chip cookies and two ice-cold glasses of milk.
She grabbed one cookie in each hand and bit out of them simultaneously. "Babe, they're divine!"

"Just like you." He replied.

She smirked then quickly gobbled up both cookies.

With Michael's help, Mariah sat down on the couch and pulled the cookies and all the boxes of ornaments close to her, organizing the ornaments to her liking.