Chapter 95

November 29th, 1999

Janet was in the living room putting together a puzzle with the twins. Michael was sitting in the arm chair reading a book. Janet hadn't brought up his episode at Mariah’s release party so as to prevent him from having another, but she was curious as to why Diana was there with her kids.

Nicole whined and threw a piece of the puzzle down in frustration.

“Why did you get one with so many pieces, Mike?” Janet asked, picking up the piece.

The puzzle wasn't huge, only 30 or so pieces--but for a pair of soon-to-be two year olds, it was a bit much.

He looked up. “It's not that many.”

“They aren't even two.” Janet pointed out. “You should've got those little baby puzzles.”

Michael shrugged. “Noni’s having fun.”

Noelle looked at the picture on the box and then back down at the puzzle in confusion. Nicole was still whining in Janet's ear, the sound grating the woman’s nerves.

“What's wrong Nicki? TT don't like that whining.”  

“She's sleepy.” Michael said without looking up. “Can you put them to sleep and check on Lizzie for me?”

Janet rolled her eyes. “If you haven't forgotten, these are your kids.”

Please.”

Janet huffed. “Fine. Come on rugrats.”

She grabbed a twin in each hand and walked the little ones to their room. She’d begun prepping them for their naps when-

Ding dong.

“I got it!” Michael called from the living room.

Who the hell…? Janet thought. Typically John would just announce a guest over the intercom if it wasn’t family.

“Iss mommy?” Nicole asked, rubbing her eye.

Janet shook her head. “No it's not your mommy but if you go to sleep she'll be here when you wake up.”

Nicole didn't take much convincing, as soon as her head hit the pillow, her eyes closed. Noelle, however, was reluctant to sleep.

“Alright, lay down and close your eyes, Noni.”

And hurry up...I'm trying to see who this is.

“I not tired.” Noelle said.

Janet chuckled. “If you go to sleep I'll give you a cookie when you get up.”

Noelle stared at Janet for a few moments before yawning. “But I not tired.”

“Just close your eyes. I promise you'll start feeling sleepy.” Janet said.

Noelle squeezed her eyes shut and laid down. Janet smirked and walked over to Lizzie's crib. The smallest one was still out cold, so Janet quickly exited the room, cracking the door on her way out.

She proceeded to sneak down the stairs, toward the living room, where she caught a glimpse of Diana sitting across from Michael.

Aw hell.

There seemed to be a tense silence between the two as they watched each other, daring the other to speak.

Diana took a deep breath.

“I-” They said at the same time.

Michael giggled nervously. “You go ahead.”

Diana stared at the ground, slowly nodding her head. “Well, I just want to know what happened with you is all. I mean- that was really scary for me, Michael.”