Chapter 115

May 18th, 2001

Flump!

“Shit!” Mariah shouted.

Michael came darting into the bedroom. “Mariah! Are you okay?”

She grimaced, struggling up off the floor. “Yeah- I just- I guess I fell out the bed.”

Michael bit back a chuckle.

“What?” She asked, genuinely curious.

He shook his head ever so slightly. “Nothin’ baby-”

“What's that big ass grin on your face?”

“You fell out of the bed.” He said, cheeks high from grinning. “How you do that?”

She looked down at the floor--her feet unmanicured and body hidden under Bermuda shorts she'd made from old gray sweatpants, and a tye dye t-shirt under a white tank top.

She shrugged.

Michael shook his head, extending his arms to give his homely wife a hug. He kissed her forehead.

“You're so cute.”

She gave a tight lipped smile.

“Yeah, whatever.”

Michael gave her a squeeze before letting go. “You hungry? I'm making the girls something to eat.”

She rubbed her stomach. “Actually, I am. What you making?”

“Pancakes. Nothing too extravagant.”

She raised an eyebrow. “You haven't done that in a while.”

He pushed out a breath, tying his straggly hair into a low ponytail. “Well, I'm in a good mood…”

“What's got you so peppy?”

He shrugged. “Life. My album’s coming together, the girls are behaving, you're a work in progress-”

“A work in progress? What is that supposed to mean?”

Michael took a step back. “I just- I don't mean anything by it. I just mean- you're doing good with the girls. Not asking me anymore questions about-”

Mariah started to zone out, her husband’s voice somehow relaxing, despite the fact that he just described her as a ‘work in progress’. She'd been extremely out of it lately. Not necessarily emotionally--quite the contrary actually--but physically. Some days she didn't even feel like getting out of bed.

Wait a second...

“Babe, shut up for a second!” She exclaimed excitedly. She couldn't think with his random background nonsense. “What day is it?”

“The day that the lord has made-”

Mariah popped him in the stomach.

“Boy!...I'm serious, Michael!”

Michael, stroking his arm in exaggerated pain, pouted. “Friday.”

“Date?”

Michael glanced over her head, presumably at the wall calendar they kept near the bathroom door.

“The eighteenth-”

“Okay! Wow! Where's my cell phone?” She shouted.

He pointed at the nightstand on her side of the bed.

“Look, stay here! I gotta make a phone call!”

Michael was quite obviously confused. “I gotta stay here so you can-”