Chapter 65

July 19th, 1998

“Okay so, you burned down the rest of your mother’s house on purpose, after accidentally setting her couch on fire with your crack pipe that was lit for whatever reason, while shooting up heroin to get over your hangover?” Michael asked incredulously.

“Yes.” Morgan said swiftly.

Michael, mouth open and eyes big, just stared at his brother-in-law. Morgan showed up on their doorstep a few minutes earlier and his story already freaked Michael out.

Mariah, showing her teeth and cringing at what her brother just explained, opened her mouth to speak. “Morgan, you promised you wouldn’t do drugs. That’s what got Alison fucked up.”

Michael looked at his wife as if to say ‘really?’

Mariah glanced down at Michael and sighed. “We’ve gotta get you some help.”

Michael jumped up off the couch. “Baby, I love you, but this, right here, is some crazy shit. He gotta go.”

Mariah opened her mouth, ready to beg Michael to go along with her thinking.

“Mariah do not do it! I am not letting this man stay in my house. I don’t care what’s going on with your mother!” Michael shouted.

Mariah folded her arms. “Baby, please?”

“Mimi, we have babies. Little tiny adorable babies. They’re so sweet, they’re so beautiful, I love them more than the whole world. I’m not letting an arsonist in my home around those precious little eyeballs.”

Mariah huffed. “It’s not like he’s gonna burn down our house. He’s just a crackhead with bad judgement, not a criminal.”

“Guys, I am right here.” Morgan said, slowly. The couple ignored him.

Michael shook his head. “Listen, if you wanna help him out, with your money, you can. But I don’t like fire, and I don’t like anything greasier than the Sahara desert that could sustain a fire, and your brother is definitely consistently slathered in tanning oil. He’s not staying anywhere near my house or my kids and I don’t even want you to get involved in that case.”

Michael looked at Morgan, placed his hand on Morgan’s shoulder, and said, monotonously, “Morgan, you are a wanted man. You are a criminal and a dope fiend. I appreciate you in the most vague sense of the word, but you cannot be around my babies and I really don’t want you around my wife. Go take care of yourself man.”

Michael quickly exited the room.

Mariah sighed and pulled out her phone.

“Who are you calling?” Morgan said, getting up and moving towards the door.

She rolled her eyes. “A lawyer. Now sit down, you've already got us all in enough shit.”

Morgan sat back down beside her quietly.

“Hello?” Came a deep voice.

“Hey Richard, it's Mariah. I need to call in a favor.”

July 20th, 1998

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen Mariah smile so much.” Nina whispered to Michael. “She looks so happy.”

“Motherhood looks beautiful on her, doesn’t it? This is so good for them--bonding with their mother.” Michael responded.

Michael and Mariah decided to attend their last Mommy and Me swim class together. The twins reached all their swim targets over the past few months and the last day was open swim. Michael sat next to Nina, spectating, while Mariah and Dawn enjoyed their time in the pool with Noah, Nicole, Noelle, and the other parents and children.