Chapter 40

October 2nd, 1997

Michael laid in bed with Mariah, his hands roaming her stomach. He was so glad to be back in his own bed at Neverland, though he would soon have to get back on the road. Mariah shifted beside him, grimacing.

“What's wrong?” He asked.

She sat up and sighed. “This one.” She pointed to her right side. “Is kicking super hard.”

Michael put his hand where Mariah pointed, and sure enough, the baby kicked so hard he could feel the outline of her foot. He nervously laughed out loud in shock. “She’s going to be feisty.”

Mariah rolled her eyes. “I bet she is.” She looked down at her stomach. “I love that you’re active but can you not try to hurt me, mama?”

Michael squeezed Mariah’s thigh.

She glared at him. “What.”

“She’s not trying to hurt you, stop that.”

Mariah huffed. “I know. I’m just not used to it.”

“Okay well get used to it babe. They’re growing girls, they need to stretch.” Michael bit.
Mariah scrunched up her face.

“What?” He asked.

“Nothing.”

Michael took a deep breath, noting her discomfort.

“Anyway, I’m not sure I should continue the tour.” He said, in an effort to lighten the mood.

“Why?” She asked.

“I just don't want to leave you guys.”

“It'll only be two weeks.” Mariah said.

“I know.” He paused for a second, looking into her dejected eyes. “Promise me you'll do the video diary thing every night, I don't want to miss a thing.”

“I promise.” She said without looking up.

“Pinky promise?”

Mariah smirked, intertwining her pinky with his. “Pinky Promise.”

October 2nd, 1997

Katherine was sitting near the phone wondering when she was going to hear from Michael again. She would never understand what Michael saw in Mariah, and why he chose her out of all his options.

Joseph came into the living room and sat in his favorite armchair, turning on the TV to a game show.

“He ain't gon call.” He said.

Katherine frowned. “He'll call.”

“No he won't. Hell, and I can't say I blame him.” Joseph started. “You just don't get it.”

“What are you talking about, Joseph? I'm trying to protect him from that-”

“His wife. The wife that he chose. The boy is happy, let him be happy.” He said. “You did the same shit before and I was surprised he forgave you for messing up that engagement.”

Katherine glared. “She wasn't right for him. She was an old industry whore, he didn't need that baggage.”

“Well if that's what he wanted, that's his problem. You only do that with Michael, you got mad at her because the money stopped coming in, not who she was sleeping with.”

Katherine paused, staring at Joseph. “You liar. I love my son.”

“You love him so much you won't let him love anyone else.”