Chapter 101

April 6th, 2000

Mariah was laying on the bed feeling absolutely miserable. She'd gone out to dinner with Rachel and Shawntae the night before, and now she felt like she had been hit by two semi trucks.

"I just had to have the oysters." She moaned, rolling over to look at Elizabeth, who laid in her bouncer. The six month old rubbed her eyes--Mariah hoping she'd just fall asleep. Elizabeth looked up at her suffering mother and screeched, the sound seeming ten times louder to Mariah's sensitive ears.

"Lizzie, be quiet baby." Mariah whined, covering her ears.

Elizabeth ignored her, seeming to grow irritated from Mariah's lack of attention. She screamed out again, this time reaching her arms out for her mother.

"Aww mama, really?" Mariah asked.

Elizabeth's irritated whimpers turned into a soft cry.

Mariah rubbed her eyes, forcing herself up onto the bed. She stared at the TV screen before shifting her eyes toward her daughter.

She stood up and went to pick the little girl up out of her bouncer. With every gentle pat on the back, Elizabeth calmed down.

Mariah carried her infant over to the bed. As sick as she felt, she tried to resist giving her child kisses and cuddles.

Elizabeth squirmed around in her mother's arms, trying to get comfortable.

"You sleepy baby?" Mariah asked.

Seemingly on queue, Elizabeth yawned.

Aww, look at my sweetheart.

Elizabeth slowly blinked her eyes closed, falling asleep in Mariah's arms.

April 9th, 2000

Mariah arrived on the set of VH1 Divas with her entourage, pushing Elizabeth in her stroller. Though she was still feeling a little under the weather, she decided to push through and perform.

Mariah could see some of the performers, like Donna Summer and Faith Hill, talking with each other on the side of the stage. Destiny's Child, after recently going through a lineup change, was nearby watching the event. Diana Ross, the night's honoree, was rehearsing with her band.

Diana stopped when she saw her. She got down from the stage and strode over to Mariah, who didn't know exactly how to react the woman.

"How are ya?" Diana anxiously asked once she reached Mariah, though her eyes were focused on Elizabeth.

Mariah forced a smile. "I'm good. How are you?"

"I'm good."

An awkward silence set in, Mariah watching Diana and Diana still focused on Elizabeth.

"She's getting so big." Diana said, almost to herself.

Mariah held an awkward smile. "Yeah she is."

Diana broke her gaze from Elizabeth and cleared her throat. She almost looked like she wanted to say something but was too scared to spit it out.

She took a deep breath. "Well you know you're on first, you should probably go get changed."

Mariah nodded. "Yeah I'll go do that."

Mariah walked out out of her dressing room in a short silver dress. Wayne and Rachel followed behind her, Rachel carrying Elizabeth.

Mariah turned back to Rachel. "I just fed her so she shouldn't be hungry."

Rachel nodded. "Come on Lizzie, we're gonna watch mommy sing."