Chapter 52

February 2nd, 1998

Michael was sitting at the kitchen island trying to sneak in some work. Earlier that day, he’d spoken with his assistant about scheduling a session with a photographer for his babies’ first pictures.

“So they're getting pictures done on the eighth.” Michael explained to his mother.

Katherine nodded. “Oh that sounds good.”

“Yeah and then we can do the party on the twenty-second with everybody.” He said. “Have you talked to Rebbie?”

“Yes I've talked to her and I told her not to start no mess. Everything is gonna go just fine Michael.”

They continued their conversation about the housewarming party when the garage opened.

He got up to go check and see who it was before coming back into the kitchen.

“Who was that?” Katherine asked.

He shrugged. “It's just Pat.”

Katherine scowled.

“Anyway, we could have Bill pick everyone up all at once or they could just catch a taxi once they land.”

Pat came into the kitchen with a grin. “Michael, how have you been?” She asked.

“Fine.” He mumbled, looking down.

Pat raised an eyebrow at him, but didn't say anything.

She glanced over at his mother. “Katherine.”

“Patricia.” Katherine returned.

“So what are you up to?” Pat asked, trying to get a glimpse of the calendar Michael had on the table.

He covered it with his hand, making Pat jump back a bit.

“It's nothing.” Michael said.

He wasn't really annoyed with Pat, but he couldn't help but think about Mariah when he saw his mother in law.

Pat sucked in her cheeks and left the room.

Michael turned back to his mother. “Now where were we?”

February 6th, 1998

Mariah had just flown in from Australia to drop milk off for the twins. She had been pumping religiously so as to keep her breast milk flowing since the twins weren’t actually eating from the nipple.

“Hi Mariah, bye Mariah.” Pat said as she zoomed by.

“Woah, where are you going?”

“I have a meeting.” Pat responded, suspiciously.

“You have a meeting here? Who do you even know here?” Mariah asked in a jovial tone.

“Don’t worry about that.” Pat chuckled. “I’ll see you for dinner, yes?”

“Uhh, maybe.”

Pat furrowed her brows. “Ehm, alright then.”

Mariah nodded her head as the older woman continued on out of the door. Immediately after Pat darted out, Mariah took a look around her home. She hadn’t really been able to enjoy it lately with her being on tour and Michael’s inability to understand her.

She sighed.

This place is a mess.

She walked over to the refrigerator. A note on it read: Michael, I won’t be over this week, remember to slow down and relax. Love, Kate.