Chapter 104

June 14th, 2000

Mariah was looking through her screenplay feeling annoyed. She was waiting on Louise to get back to her about her singles, since Sony was blocking them from being released. By touring, she'd already held up her end of the contract so she couldn't understand why the label was still choosing to sabotage her career.

Ring.

Ring.

Mariah rolled her eyes and picked up her phone. “Hello?”

“Mariah.”

She sat up straight. “Tommy...Hi.”

Mariah half expected Tommy to yell at her for one reason or another, but his voice remained icily calm.

“Why are you posting inside information on your website where anybody can see it?”

She huffed. “Where are my singles Tommy? I did the tour, I did the appearances but you're still not promoting my singles.”

“And I'm not going to until you figure out who that child belongs to. I'm getting married in October, I don't need this hanging over me.”

Is he serious right now?

Mariah pinched the bridge of her nose. “Well, don't worry about it. I know who her dad is, my husband.”

“So you got the test?”

No.

“Yeah, but like I was saying about my singles-”

Click.

Mariah stared at her phone in irritation. “I know this asshole didn't just hang up on me-”

She put her phone back down on the table contemplating how she was going promote her album without her label backing her.

They’re gonna release my music whether they want to or not.

June 14th, 2000

Michael sighed in frustration as he walked down the hallway toward the master bedroom. The girls had toys scattered all over the house, and with his staff on vacation, he had to clean everything up.

“Noni!” He shouted.

“Huh?”

“Come here!” He replied.

“Huh, daddy?”

He shook his head. Anytime he’d try yelling at his girls from another room, they’d never move to go see what he wanted.

I don’t even know why I tried.

He picked up plushies and baby blocks on his way into the bedroom. As he turned the corner, he noticed Mariah sitting on the bed with his laptop, while Twizzie, his nickname for the twins and Elizabeth, played around on the floor.

Michael giggled as he placed the girls’ toys on the chair.

“Baby, what are you doing?” He asked glancing between Mariah and the girls. She peeked behind the computer screen, a smirk on her face. “Talkin’ to my fans.”

He smiled so that his teeth showed.

“Noni.” He started.

Noelle looked up at him, innocently.

“What did Daddy tell you about leaving your toys all over the place?”

She grew distressed. “That’s sister.” She replied, pointing at her baby sister.