Chapter 47

December 24th, 1997

“Yes?” Dr. Gates responded.

“We've got a pulse.”

Thank god, thank god, thank god! Janet thought.

Dr. Gates looked back to Michael. “If you'll excuse me.”

Even though Janet was happy Mariah was alive, she was conflicted. She knew that at any given moment it could all a turn for the worst.

She breathed in deeply and looked back at Michael, who was a nervous wreck.

She walked over to him and grabbed his shoulder, turning his body towards her. She reached out to hug him.

“Janet?” Michael mumbled.

“Hm?”

Michael started again. “What if she still-”

“She’s not.”

December 24th, 1997

Tick. Tock.

Tick. Tock.

Michael sat outside the room, the only sound that filled the air was the ticking of the clock. It mocked him, a constant reminder that there was nothing he could do but wait. There was no more news after Mariah was revived, which was a worrying sign. He ran his fingers through his hair, fidgeting in the chair.

Tick. Tock.

Tick. Tock.

He got up, pacing the floor. He was exhausted and confused, trying to figure out how what should've been a happy moment went so horribly wrong.

He turned on his heel slowly, wondering when he'd hear news again.

I'm gonna lose my mind waiting out here.

Michael quickly decided to walk back to the waiting room where he and Mariah’s family and friends had been since Mariah went into labor.

“What’s going on?” Pat asked, deeply concerned.

Michael shook his head, a dead look in his eyes.

“Michael what does that mean?” Pat pressed. “My baby is in there! Tell me what’s-”

“Patricia stop it!” Alfred exclaimed. “We’re all stressed out here. You can’t be yelling in here around all of these children.”

Pat sighed.

“Baby, how are you feeling?” Katherine asked.

Michael looked at his mother and quickly looked away. Looking at his mother was like looking at mature versions of his baby girls, the same baby girls he might have to raise on his own.

Michael sat down next to Katherine who pulled him in for a side-hug. “It’s okay. She’ll be alright.”

Janet and Marlon, who’d just arrived, looked up at their mother in shock.

Michael covered his dry, prickly eyes.

He sat up from his mother’s protection and prepared himself to speak. “Thank everybody for everything. But she’s sleeping.”

His words were met with confusion and fear.

He sighed, his eyes were sad and tired. “She’s sleeping.”

December 24th, 1997

Katherine’s heart ached for Michael. She could see the anguish in his face as he sat beside her in deep thought. She rested a hand on his shoulder. The look on his face was one she wished she'd never seen. She didn't even have words that would ease his pain.