Chapter 93

October 1st, 1999

“You must be hungry mama!” Michael exclaimed.

Mariah giggled as she looked down at their daughter. “Yes she is.”

It was their second day at the hospital after Elizabeth's birth. He was sitting on the bed with his wife and new baby while Mariah nursed.

He leaned over and kissed Mariah's forehead, playing with Elizabeth's hand. “I love you guys.”

Janet, sitting in the chair beside the bed, narrowed her eyes at him.

“I love you too.” Mariah said, then looked down at Elizabeth. “And you, Lizzie.”

“How are you feeling?” He asked.

Mariah smiled. “I feel really good.”

Thank God.

“I'm glad. I want you to be happy.”

Janet rolled her eyes.

He tried to get closer to Mariah, putting his arm around her waist. “I hope you two can home tomorrow.”

Mariah picked up Elizabeth to burp her and looked back at Michael. “Dr. Powell said I should be able to, she just wanted to make sure I didn't get sick after what happened last time.”

“Good.” Michael lifted Elizabeth out of her mother's arms and nibbled her cheeks. “You hear that mama? You're coming home tomorrow, and you gonna see your big sisters.”

Michael could feel Janet’s eyes burning holes into him.

What is her problem?

“Mike, can I talk to you for a second?” Janet asked.

Michael grimaced at his sister. “What?”

“I want to talk to you. Come outside with me.” She replied.

Michael huffed. “I'll be back.” He gave his newborn a kiss and followed Janet into the hallway.

October 1st, 1999

“What?”

“What you have a damn attitude for?” Janet questioned.

“Because you see me tryna spend time with my baby and you suddenly have to talk to me-”

Janet rolled her eyes. “Suddenly, Mike? I haven't seen you in days and then you show up and I'm supposed to pretend like everything is fine?”

“Everything is fine. You're the only person upset.”

“Yeah, that's because Mariah is loopy from giving birth. I'm the only one who can see through your ass.” She rebutted.

“I have no clue what you're talking about.”

“Please! Where the hell were you when you missed your child's birth?” She questioned.

He responded hastily. “Taking care of business.”

“What business is more important than your child?” Janet asked in a loud whisper.

Michael grabbed Janet and walked her into the snack room, adjacent to the delivery room.

“How the fuck would I know she was in labor?” Michael asked in a loud whisper.

“Maybe if you were at home with her-” Janet started.

“Don't fucking do me, Janet! I love my kids more than anything in the world-”

Janet folded her arms. “Okay well then you wouldn't mind telling me where you were…”