Chapter 94

October 29th, 1999

Dr. Powell was preparing her office while the nurse brought back her next patient.

“Hi Dr. Powell,” shouted Mariah as she walked into the office. Michael closely followed her, carrying Elizabeth in her car seat.

“You're in a good mood.” Dr. Powell observed.

Mariah was acting the complete opposite of how she was when she had the twins. She seemed extremely chipper and doting towards little Elizabeth--this time it was Michael who seemed unenthused.

“Alright, Lizzie time for your check up.” Mariah cooed as she picked the baby up out of her car seat and handed her to Dr. Powell.

As Dr. Powell prepped Elizabeth for her check up she noticed Michael fidgeting beside Mariah, glancing between the door and the clock. Mariah seemed completely oblivious to her husband, focusing on Elizabeth.

“How is she feeding?” Dr. Powell asked.

“Every two or three hours.” Mariah responded.

Dr. Powell nodded. “She's eight pounds, twelve ounces.”

“You hear that baby?” Mariah said, turning to Michael.

He put his phone back in his pocket and forced a smile. “Yeah, that's great.”

Dr. Powell raised an eyebrow.

What's his problem?

Dr. Powell continued Elizabeth’s exam, taking her temperature and examining her ears.

Ring.

Ring.

“Hello?” Michael answered, sounding frantic.

He leaned back in his chair, a smile growing on his face. “Oh really?”

Mariah paid him no mind.

He nodded along to whatever was being said on the other end. “Alright, I'll be there. I’ll see you soon.”

...So that's what's going on.

He hung up the phone and gave Mariah a kiss on the cheek. “Gotta go. I'll see you two at home.”

“Um, how will we get home?” Mariah asked.

“Oh, I’m not taking the car, I’ll call Phil to bring me a car.”

Mariah gave a slight grin. “Okay.”

“Alright, I love you.” Michael proclaimed, seemingly excited to dart out of the door.

“I love you too.”

He waved to Dr. Powell. “Bye Dr. Powell.”

Dr. Powell nodded and watched him walk out of the door before turning her attention to Mariah.

She placed Elizabeth back in her carseat and picked up her clipboard to write her notes.

While making her notes, Dr. Powell decided to question Mariah.

“What's going on with him?”

“Who?” Mariah asked.

“Your husband.”

Mariah raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”

“I just think that he’s acting a little odd is all.”

He’s cheating on you.

“Really? You think so?” Mariah asked.

“Well, sure. It’s usually a struggle to get him away from your babies. Now he just ups and leaves.”