Chapter 56

March 30th, 1998

Morgan leaned against the cold, stone walls of his cell. He called Mariah the day before and told her about his predicament. She promised to wire him some bail money, so he was just waiting.

Wonder what Mariah thinks about all of this.

In the facility, there was a little TV turned on to the news. Every few hours during the entertainment portion, it was announced that Michael Jackson's brother in law had been arrested.

Well it could be worse.

“Carey.”

Morgan looked up at the sound of his name and walked over to the bars of his shared cell. The guard glared at him as she let him out.

“You made bail.” She informed him.

He nodded and stepped out.

“Thanks Officer…” He strained to see her name tag. “Hall.”

“Yeah, whatever.” She rolled her eyes and walked back to her desk muttering under her breath.

March 30th, 1998

Michael was setting up a playpen for the twins. Since they'd only be in New York for a few days he didn't think it'd be necessary to bring actual cribs.

Mariah was sitting on the couch brushing Noelle's hair--Nicole sitting on the side of them, babbling to herself.

Michael looked up from what he was doing, chuckling. “What you talking about, mama?”

Mariah smirked. “She's really passionate about it, whatever it is.”

Michael picked up a blanket and spread it on the bottom of the pen, meticulously tucking the edges underneath the pad that came with it.

He looked up again, observing Mariah and the twins.

Look at my girls.

Mariah seemed to finally relax around the twins, though could tell there was still a bit of awkwardness when she was around them.

“I'll put them in the playpen.” He offered, walking over to pick up Noelle off Mariah's lap.

He put both of them in the playpen, watching as Noelle rolled over and reached for Nicole. Nicole gave a loud squeal and started babbling to sister. Noelle quickly glanced up at Michael and Mariah, giggling.

“They're talking shit.” Mariah said in disbelief. She looked up at Michael shaking her head. “The girls are talking about us.”

Michael started cracking up. “Are you serious?”

Mariah looked at him incredulously. “I know you saw that. Nicole started talking then Noelle looked at us and laughed. They're clowning us.”

Michael shook his head, still laughing. “Babe, you're paranoid.”

Mariah huffed, rolling her eyes. Her phone started ringing on the table and she picked it up, irritation etched onto her face.

Michael watched for a moment.

“Morgan, you got some explaining to do.” Mariah spat. Michael could just barely hear Morgan’s voice through the phone, pleading with Mariah.

“Wha? Morgan you need to tell me-” Mariah huffed.

Michael pursed his lips as Mariah got up and walked into the other room. He turned his head back to the babies.

Nicole had her hand raised like she was about to hit Noelle.