Chapter 46

December 23rd, 1997

Michael darted through hospital corridors trying to find them. He had no cellular service in the hospital so he had to rely on his memory.

In his glory, he quickly ran past a waiting room that, at a distance, seemed to be full of familiar faces. He stopped in his tracks and walked backward toward that waiting room.

“Wayne?” He asked.

Wayne looked up from his newspaper. Next to Wayne sat Mary, Vicki, and Janet.

“Hey- Janet? How did you get here so quickly?” Michael asked.

“Well I was only in Vegas so when you called, I just hopped on the first flight out here. Where’s Mariah?”

“She’s in the room waiting. She told me to go find you guys.” Michael nervously replied.

He turned towards Mary. “Uh-Mary?” He started, awkwardly. “Hi, Mariah wants to talk to you. Actually, if you guys wanna all come up with me that’d be-”

“Michael?” A familiar voice called out from afar.

Michael looked over to the side of him.

Ah hell.

“Michael, why didn’t you call me?”

Michael shot a look at Janet.

“Don’t look at me.” Janet mouthed.

“Michael, answer me!”

“Mother how did you get here?” Michael asked.

“What do you mean how did I get- Boy you need to be worried about what you was gonna do had I not been here!” Katherine exclaimed.

Behind Katherine was Joseph, Latoya, Jermaine, Alejandra, and the children. Michael glared at Latoya.

“What?” Latoya asked, worriedly. “I had to Michael.”

Michael narrowed his eyes. Did you though?

Latoya continued. “Where’s Mariah?”

Michael ignored her question and greeted his father. He glanced at Jermaine and Alejandra but didn’t say anything.

Michael turned his attention back to the group in the waiting room. “If you guys wanna follow me, I’ll take you up to the Maternity Ward.”

On their way toward the elevator, Michael glanced at his mother, and soon after at the rest of his family.

Janet took note and said the words she could tell he was thinking. “Alright Toya, Jermaine, don’t start none won’t be none.”

Jermaine rolled his eyes and stepped onto the elevator.

When they made it up to the Maternity Ward, Michael escorted them into a private waiting area. “Now if y’all could just wait right here. I’ll be right back. Mary, come with me.”

Janet looked up. “Can I go to?”

Michael shook his head and giggled. “Come on Dunk.”

Janet jumped up from her seat, a wide grin on her face.

About an hour after taking Mary and Janet back to see Mariah, Michael returned to the waiting area.

“So, how is she?” Vicki asked.

“She’s doing fine. They had to get her some antibiotics though. They said she had ‘Preterm Premature Rupture of Membranes’, which basically means her water broke before she was full term.” Michael explained.