Chapter 102

May 1st, 2000

In a shocking turn of events, all of the new charges brought against Morgan had been dropped and he was released early on parole for good behavior. He called Mariah after his hearing and she sent him a cab to her condo.

Morgan stepped out of the cab and rang the buzzer. Shawn was supposed to be there to let him in and help him get settled. The door buzzed and Morgan walked into the building. The doorman raised an eyebrow at him, making Morgan move to hide the clear bag with his belongings as he boarded the elevator up to Michael and Mariah's penthouse.

“Uncle Morgan!” Shawn grinned. “Come on in.”

Morgan smiled at his nephew, happy to be home and away from his cellmate Hunter. Hunter was imprisoned for burning down the schoolhouse where his Mother gave birth to him. He said he wanted to “kill the fucking bitch in a symbolic place for making [him] do [his] chores”.

Morgan set his stuff down by the door and looked up to see Shawn had disappeared. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion and walked towards the living room, assuming that Shawn had gone in there. The condo was eerily quiet--to the point where Morgan could hear his own footsteps on the wood floors.

“Hello Morgan.”

Morgan froze in his tracks. “Ma?”

Pat was sitting on the couch stirring her tea.

“What are you doing here?” He commanded. “I know Mariah doesn't know you're here.”

Shawn entered the living room from one of the bedrooms. “So what? Mariah was just gonna let her starve on the street.”

“As she should.” Morgan retorted. “Shawn you don't know who you're dealing with.”

Shawn narrowed his eyes. “No, I know what I'm dealing with. Two selfish ass-”

“You better watch your mouth! You’re sitting in Mariah's house, going to Harvard on her dime, and let's not forget who babysat you all those times your mom was too busy shooting up to give a damn.” Morgan snapped.

Shawn ran across the room, getting right up in Morgan’s face. “You don’t have any room to talk. You're a convicted felon just getting out of prison.”

Shawn snatched Morgan by his collar and pushed him up against the wall, knocking down Michael and Mariah's wedding portrait. “You're not just gonna come in here talking about anybody like you’re running something.”

Pat turned her attention away from them and turned up the volume on the TV as if they weren't even there.

“Local real estate tycoon Richard Hathaway was found dead in his home yesterday. Police are reporting that the cause of death at this time is unknown and are conducting an investigation into the matter.”

May 1st, 2000

Ring.

Ring.

Mariah turned away from Elizabeth to grab her phone.

“Hello? Morgan?” Mariah answered as she tucked the phone under her ear and resumed feeding her baby.

“Mariah you gotta get me out of New York.”

Mariah furrowed her eyebrows. “Why? Hell can you even leave the state?”

“That doesn't matter right now. Shawn beat my ass last night-”

Mariah jumped back. “Wait, wait, wait! Shawn did what?”