Chapter 67

August 17th, 1998

“Your account is in shambles.”

Mariah and Michael exchanged a glance as Denise frowned at the papers in front of her.

“It can't be that bad.” Michael said.

Denise raised a maternal eyebrow at him. “Oh, it's that bad.”

Mariah leaned back. “Well what can we do?”

“Well, for starters, you two could sell one of your homes. With Neverland, do you really need the other four?”

“We got seven houses worth of stuff thanks to this one.” Mariah said, pointing at Michael.

Michael rolled his eyes. “What else?”

“You guys could have an auction and get rid of some things sin-”

“No.” Michael said, folding his arms. “I need that stuff.”

No you don't.

Denise sighed. “Well how about you two rent out the Aspen home?”

Mariah sat back to consider the idea. “Rent it out?”

“Yeah, you guys could rent it out and have a steady income.” Denise said. “Like you guys do with the Vegas home.”

Michael nodded slowly. “I like that idea.”

“If you rented it out you guys would finally get returns on some of your non-music related assets.” Denise warned.

Mariah nodded.

Denise smiled. “Alright, I'll speak with your lawyer it should be all good to go.”

Michael smiled back. “Thanks Denise.”

He got up to hug her. “I’d be working at the steel mill if it weren’t for you.”

August 17th, 1998

Michael reclined in his seat on his private jet, Noelle on his chest and Nicole in the seat opposite him in her car seat. He rested his eyes and rubbed his baby’s back. Soon, he began to sing to her.

You are the sun.

You make me shine.

What comes after this?

I don’t even know.

Because I haven’t wrote it yet.”

Michael chuckled to himself. He’d been playing around with different songs but hadn’t yet come up with the exact lyrics for a few he really wanted on the next album.

“I should probably finish the song at some point.” He commented, peeking down at his little one.

Noelle looked at him in confusion.

“Noni, look at my hand.” He instructed, waving a finger in her face. She followed him but kept trying to focus. “Hold on, let me get your eyes.” He said, shuffling through her baby bag. When he found the miniature Ray-Ban case, he pulled out a sleek pair of goggle-like eyeglasses with lenses specially crafted for Noelle.

“Here you go, baby.” He said as he fastened the glasses around her head.

She reached up at the lenses, grabbing at them.

“No, no, no. You can’t take them off.”

She struggled with her father for awhile before giving up.

“I’m sorry Noni, but you have to. We just want you to see better.” Michael explained, stroking her cheek.

Noelle stared at him, confused and fascinated all at once. It seemed almost as if she couldn’t understand the concept of her father.