Chapter 4

July 25th, 1996

Michael was rehearsing for his tour. He was still debating on how he was going to perform Earth Song and was bouncing ideas back and forth with Kenny Ortega. He was looking at the stage trying to figure out what would be powerful enough to relay the message to his fans. This song was important to him; the earth was slowly being destroyed and people didn't realize it.

"I  got it. I want a tank." Michael said.

Kenny raised an eyebrow. "Do we have time to build a tank?"

Michael shrugged. "I don't know, but I want a tank. I know what I want to do with the song now."

"You've got the cherry picker and now you want a tank?" Kenny inquired incredulously.

Michael nodded. "I want a tank."

Kenny nodded. "Alright, I'll see what I can do. Your fiancee should be here soon."

Mariah had taken to bringing Michael his lunches, but he knew the reason why. When he rehearsed, he had a tendency to forget to eat and it made Mariah more nervous than anything, in regards to him at least. She was very protective of him to say the least.

"Yeah, she will. You know how she gets when I don't eat." Michael said.

As if on cue, Mariah entered the arena, but Michael could immediately tell something was off. He hopped down from the stage and met her in the middle of the aisle.

"Hey baby." Mariah gave him a peck on the lips and handed him a bag. "There's lunch."

"What's wrong? You seem off." She tried to turn her head, but he gently turned her head back to him.

She sighed. "It's nothing. I want you to focus on your show."

He frowned. "A damn show can wait. What'd bothering you? That's what I care about."

"Tommy called." She began. "He said he wants a meeting with me."

Michael knew this moment was coming. Tommy was more than likely furious about the court documents leaking, but Michael hadn't told Mariah about it so she could truly be absolved of any wrongdoing. He also kept it quiet because he didn't want to stress her out, but seeing Tommy in any capacity would do exactly that.

"I'll come with you." He offered.

Mariah shook her head. "This is something I have to face alone, Mike."

"Mariah..."

She shook her head again. "No, I'm serious. I have to face him alone Michael. You can't always protect me."

He raised an eyebrow. "Uh, yes I can."

She chuckled at that. "You can try, but I'm a grown woman. I have to fight my own battles."

He put his hands on her shoulders. "I get that baby, but after what he did to you I don't want you anywhere alone with him."

She gave him another kiss. "I have to Mike."

July 29th, 1996

Mariah had returned to New York to have her meeting with Tommy while Michael waited at their hotel. As she entered the familiar Sony Headquarters, she felt a sense of foreboding. She had no idea why he wanted to see her, but she could tell by his tone that it was serious.

"Mariah," Tommy said, narrowing his eyes as she entered the room.

She forced a smile as she took a seat across from him. The clanking of the balls in the Newton's cradle on the desk seemed so loud as the tension between the former spouses permeated the air.

"Why did you want to see me?" She asked.

He pulled a magazine out of the desk and threw it at her. The cover story read, "Carey-Mottola Divorce Bombshell: Mottola Reportedly Abused Carey Physically Throughout Two Year Marriage" with a picture of Mariah wearing large sunglasses. There were red circles drawing attention to two bruises on her arm, and she figured the picture had to be from 1994.

Her jaw dropped. She had no idea that the court documents had been leaked; she and Michael had made a media - free bubble for themselves at Neverland.

"I didn't know about this." She said, setting it back on his desk. "I really didn't"

Tommy rolled his eyes. "Stop lying Mariah. It's been published in the major tabloids and got news coverage. There's no way in Hell you didn't see this before today."

Mariah shook her head. "I haven't watched the news or picked up a magazine since we divorced."

Tommy scoffed. "Oh, so you and Peter Pan are living in a fictional paradise now huh? This is the real world, Mariah."

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Don't worry about what we do in the comfort of our home. What did you call me to discuss? I didn't put the documents out-"

"Who the fuck do you think you're talking to?" He snapped.

She opened her eyes into thin slits. "I'm talking to you."

He leaned over the desk. "You must have forgotten who I am."

Mariah couldn't lie to herself, she was afraid of him, but she refused to allow him to see that. She would never allow any man to have the power over her that Tommy had.

"You're my boss and nothing more." She deadpanned. 

He huffed and sat back down. "You disgust me."

She got up. "Well, I'm leaving now."

"Leave." He said, though she could hear him mutter "Stupid bitch." under his breath.

The fact that she was shaking was not lost on her. She had refused to be weak in his presence, but she still had that same feeling she had when she had showed up on Janet's doorstep. All she wanted was to be in Michael's arms and cry to him.

She slipped the key card in the lock and entered the hotel room. She could smell food, indicating that Michael had gotten dinner. He was laying on the floor in the front room of the suite, watching TV.

He sat up when he saw her come in. "Hey baby, what happened?"

She kicked off her shoes and sat down beside him, burying her face into his chest and started to cry. She felt Michael's arms envelop her, making her feel safe. 

She sat up and wiped her eyes. "The court documents leaked, it's been published in all of the tabloids. He is pissed."

Michael shrugged. "Well, let him be pissed. He should've treated you better, it's not like the press are printing lies this time."

Mariah frowned. "But I don't want to be seen as some type of victim."

"Then don't be a victim." He said, cautiously putting an arm around her waist. "Be strong, show them that what he did to you doesn't define you. You are your own woman and what a beautiful woman you are."

She allowed a ghost of a smile to touch her lips. "You always know know the right thing to say."

"I just love to see you happy." He said. "Now let's go get dinner."