Chapter 110

December 1st, 2000

Michael and Mariah met with Dr. Fleischman for a private session to help deal with their own personal issues. Michael had warmed up to the therapist and he was starting to believe that Mariah was right for once.

“Alright, so this is my first session with just the two of you so I took the liberty of picking this week’s theme. I’d like for you two to address romantic relationships that you've had in the past.” Dr. Fleischman explained, peering over his glasses at them.

Michael smirked at Mariah. “Ladies first.”

Mariah glanced at Michael, a worried expression on her face. “You won't judge?”

“Do I have a reason to?” He asked.

Outside of Tommy, Michael didn't know about any of Mariah’s previous relationships, and he was curious to see what made her what she became.

“Well, I guess I'll start with my first boyfriend.” Mariah shrugged, looking up at the ceiling in thought. “His name was Bobby. I think we were freshman in high school, maybe sophomore year. I can't really remember, but I was crazy about Bobby.” She broke off laughing, shyly glancing at her husband. “Don't look at me.”

He playfully rolled his eyes. “Go ahead.”

“Anyway, so, I used to do, like, little stupid stuff like write him notes and we'd go down to the beach and...Oh! One time we went to Coney Island and he got me this bear for my birthday. I thought I was gonna be Mrs.Thiel.”

Michael raised an eyebrow. “Oh really?”

“Yeah, but I was like fifteen.” She shrugged.

Dr. Fleischman nodded slowly. “And what happened between you and Bobby?”

“He broke up with me because I wouldn't sleep with him.” She rolled her eyes. “I lost a couple of guys like that actually.”

“And what made you make those decisions?” Dr. Fleischman inquired.

Mariah crossed her legs. “My sister got pregnant at fifteen, and she was a pros-” Mariah seemed to hesitate at the word. “Prostitute. Sorry. But, yeah, I didn't wanna end up like her.”

Dr. Fleischman turned to Michael. “Michael, who was your first girlfriend?”

Michael looked into Mariah's eager eyes and picked his brain for a story to tell. “Well, I dated Stephanie Mills in the seventies. She was my first real, steady girlfriend. That was a pretty good time, she was real feisty.”

He paused, trying to remember his time with Stephanie.  

He laughed. “She couldn't cook though. She made rice one time, at least I think it was rice. When I say, that it was soupy, the rice was drowning.”

Mariah frowned up. “Did you eat it?”

“Yeah, I didn't wanna be mean. She tried really hard.” He explained, a smile on his face as he remembered his younger self assuring Stephanie that everything tasted just fine, despite her food being practically inedible.

His wife folded her arms. “You always talk about my food. Why didn't you say anything to her?”

He laughed. “Well she made up for it in other ways-”

“Let me find out you mentally cheating on me with Stephanie​ Mills.” Mariah exclaimed.

Michael raised an eyebrow. “Mentally cheating? Baby, there's no such thing.”

“Actually, there is.” Dr. Fleischman​ interjected.

Michael tried to ignore the doctor. “Well anyway, we ended up breaking up because of my career. I just wasn't ready to settle down and she wanted to get married. It just didn't work out.”