Chapter 86

June 1st, 1999

The years had softened Joseph Jackson.

“Twin where you go?”

Noelle was sitting on the couch quietly watching the game with him, but Nicole had run off somewhere in the house.

“Come on little girl.” He called again.

Nicole giggled but remained out of sight. Joe scanned the room, trying to figure out where his granddaughter had run off to.

He turned to Noelle. “Where yo sister go?”

Noelle threw up both of her hands and shrugged. “I no know paw paw.”

He chuckled, shaking his head. “I'll give you some candy if you go find her.”

Noelle’s eyes widened and she slid off the couch, running in the direction Nicole disappeared in.

“Mini! Where go?” Noelle called.

Nicole shushed her sister then whispered, loudly. “I hiding from paw paw.”

“Why hiding?” Noelle asked.

“Cuz.” Nicole giggled.

Joe chuckled. “If you don't come on you ain't gonna get no candy.”

“Daddy say no candy.” Nicole said.

I guess he be giving em that healthy shit.

“Ya daddy ain't here. I said you can have some if you come here.”

Nicole poked her head out from the side of the couch and stuck her tongue out at Joe.

“Come here, Twin.”

“Uh-uh.” She shook her head, going back behind the couch.

“Quit playing, now. I whoop little girls that don't listen.” Joe joked, he'd never actually whoop any of his grandchildren unless it was absolutely necessary.

Noelle came from behind the couch this time, pulling Nicole behind her. Nicole flashed a cheeky smile at Joe and sat on the floor by the couch.

“You just like yo daddy. Always into something.”

Noelle climbed into Joe's lap and reached for his cup. “Juice.”

“This is pop.” He corrected. He held the cup up to Noelle's lips, and let her finish off the Pepsi in his glass.

Swoosh.

“Katie! I'm home!” Mariah called out.

Katie?

“Mommy!” Noelle shouted.

Mariah came waddling into the living room. “Hey baby, where's- what the hell?”

Joe nodded at Mariah. “Well hello to you too.”

“Where's Katherine?” She asked, glancing around the room.

“How would I know?”

Mariah immediately became defensive. “Wait so you guys are here by yourselves?”

Joseph nodded again.

Mariah pulled back, flabbergasted.

“What the hell!”

June 1st, 1999

Mariah sat there on the phone for what seemed like forever waiting for her mother-in-law to pick up.

To no avail.

“Jesus, Katherine!” Mariah shouted out of frustration. Coming home to find her daughters in the care of Joseph was the last thing she expected.