Chapter 69

September 8th, 1998

Michael was in the living room with the twins as they rammed into each other in their walkers.

“Hey! Those are not bumper cars.” He said.

He wanted to laugh, but he knew the girls wouldn't take him seriously if he did. Nicole laughed at him before rolling off, with Noelle following close behind.

Ring.

He sighed. “Be good you two.”

Michael got up and answered the house phone while keeping a close eye on the twins.

“Hello?”

“Hey.”

Fuck.

“Hi Rebbie.” He said.

“So did you do it yet?” She asked.

“Do what?”

Rebbie huffed. “Seriously Michael?”

“Rebbie, what are you talking about?” Michael asked, monotonously.

“See, this is why I don’t mess with you, Michael! You acting like you don’t know what I’m talking about and stuff!” Rebbie shouted.

Because I don’t.

“Hello?” Rebbie yelled. “Hell-o!”

Michael rubbed his eyes. “Can you stop yelling?”

“Can you stop being childish? Mixing this petty stuff with work!”

What is she talking about?

“Well I mean if you’re not gonna explain to me the situation, how can I help?”

“Explain to you- You want me to explain?” She shouted. “I’m not going to explain a single thing! Stop playing with my money, Michael!”

Michael glanced over to Nicole, who was guiding Noelle to the kitchen in her walker.

“Nicki, stop!” Michael called out. The twin responded immediately to her father, a mischievous grin on her face.

“Michael!” Rebbie yelled.

“What?” Michael yelled back.

“You know what- I’m talking to you!”

“Okay, and I’m with my kids right now so if I need to take care of a situation, I’m gonna do that.” Michael explained, his voice growing exasperated.

He attempted to listen to his sister’s complaints as he glided into the kitchen, going for a banana.

Did I eat earlier? He thought to himself as he peeled the over-ripe banana.

“Michael?” Rebbie shouted.

“Yes, I can hear you Rebbie.”

“Then answer me!” She demanded.

Shit.

“Uh…no?” He replied, his voice indicating unsurety.

“No what?”

“To your question.” He said.

Rebbie went silent for a moment. “Michael, you always getting on my last nerve. You ain’t even listening to me!”

Michael’s voice heightened to prepare for a lie. “I was listening to you.”

“I asked you when you’d get me that meeting with Babyface and you said ‘No’.” Rebbie said, her voice imitating someone who’s clearly not too smart.