Chapter 114

April 4th, 2001

Mariah was sitting in her bed writing another song for her soundtrack when her phone started ringing.

Ring.

Ring.

She rolled her eyes and picked up the phone. “Hello?”

“Hello, Mariah.”

Mariah leaned back against the headboard. “What's up, Louise?”

“Well, I just got done talking to the execs at Sony.” Louise started. “Mariah, you've gotta figure something out. Mottola is getting sick of your shit, and they're not paying for these studio damages.”

Mariah looked down at her nails, uninterested in what Louise had to say.

“Uh huh.”

“Mariah, I'm serious. You can't be having these little diva fits or whatever the hell you did. You of all people know that people in this business talk.” Louise snapped.

“I know Louise.” Mariah replied, monotone.

“Then who's gonna be paying these damages, Mariah? Huh? Are you losing your mind or what?”

Mariah contemplated setting the phone down until Louise got done with her rant, but kept the phone up to her ear.

“Louise, I'll pay for everything. Don't worry about it.”

“Oh, I'm not worried, but you should be before you find your ass out of a contract.” Louise spat.

Mariah glared into the phone. “Who the hell do you think you're talking to? You work for me and if you were doing your job, I wouldn't have anything to worry about. So do I need to find a new manager or what?”

“Oh I do my job very well.” Louise shot back. “That's why I've been negotiating you a new contract with a new label.”

Mariah was taken aback. “With who?”

Louise seemed smug. “Virgin. They're even willing to buy you out.”

Mariah raised an eyebrow. “Louise, I- when did you do all of this?”

“I had no choice after all of the bullshit with Rainbow and this album. So you're gonna do it right?” Louise asked.

Mariah bit her lip. “I have to think about it.”

“I don't know what you have to think about. You can't stay with Sony and if you let this deal fall through I don't know what to tell you.” Louise said.

Mariah hesitated. “I just wanna talk to Michael about it before I do anything.”

“Will you at least come to the meeting?” Louise asked.

Mariah nodded as though Louise could see her.

“Yeah, I'll be there.”

April 14th, 2001

Mariah, Michael, and the girls were at Morgan's apartment for a dinner party. Morgan sat at the head of the table, an unknown woman at the other end was smiling from ear to ear.

“So I wanted you to meet my girlfriend, Giuliana.” Morgan started.

Mariah looked the woman up and down and gave a confused smile. “Hello.”

“Giuliana, this is my sister Mariah and her husband Michael.” Morgan continued.

Giuliana giggled. “I know who they are.”