River Run (Jaime Lannister x fem!Tully reader)

You struggled against your bonds as the Lannister soldiers dragged you into a tent that you didn't recognize. It was red with a golden lion, meaning it could only belong to a Lannister noble. The soldiers had captured you as you tried to sneak passed their camp. You were pushed inside the tent and nearly toppled into a man donned in golden armor. You turned your head toward the soldiers and glared. You felt a hand cup your chin and turn your head back to the front. Your (e/c) eyes met the green ones of Jaime Lannister.

"So this is my current entertainment?" You glared at him and retorted, "And this is the Kingslayer." He dropped your chin and gave you a humorless smile. Everyone knew who Jaime Lannister was and you were no exception. "Now, shall we get on with it, then?" Jaime was taken aback by how casual you were being. You weren't acting the way a normal prisoner would.

"Are you not afraid?" he asked you and you laughed. "I am not. I am Y/N Tully and I know my fate in this situation. The Blackfish will not surrender River Run to you. I will die either way and we both know this." Jaime starred at you in surprise. Surely the Blackfish had some regard for family? Surely he would surrender if it meant keeping you safe? Jaime had to try. He would approach The Blackfish will his terms once he knew how to use you.

You gazed around the tent before returning your eyes to the Lannister. You had always been observant and you noticed something off about the Kingslayer. "You don't want to be here," you said, matter-of-factly. He looked at you in surprise. How could you tell? "Deep down, Jaime Lannister, you know this is wrong. You know that there is no need to fight," you continued. The chains that were around your wrists jangled with every movement as you spoke. "Power is never wrong. Keeping alliances is not wrong, my lady," he said simply. He fed you and then secured your chains to the tent post until the morning.

*a few days later*

Jaime left you and rode up to the castle at River Run to bargain with the Blackfish. Over the past few days of travel, he'd spoken with you at length. You tried to convince him just how wrong his actions were. You were an interesting woman, there was no denying it and Jaime found himself intrigued by you. As he dismounted and neared the drawbridge of River Run, Jaime wondered if he would be able to carry out his plans or if he even should try.

As you expected, the Blackfish refused to surrender, even to keep you safe from harm. Jaime rode back to his camp, his brows furrowed in concentration. They were going to have to fight. The last thing Jaime wanted to do was fight. He only wanted to leave, but they needed the alliance of the Freys. By the time Jaime entered his tent, he was furious. You were once again chained to the tent stake.

You could immediately tell how Jaime's negotiations with the Blackfish went and sighed heavily. "Are you going to kill me now, Ser Jaime?" you asked softly. You no longer called him Kingslayer. One night, after a few drinks, Jaime had opened up to you with the reason why he killed the king he vowed to protect. He sat down in a chair and watched you silently for a moment. Was he going to kill you? Jaime frowned. He wasn't used to being so indecisive or feeling so many different emotions at once.

"No...not yet anyway. I am going to retake River Run and then..." Jaime trailed off. He was going to threaten to slit your throat right in front of the Blackfish, but looking at your defeated (e/c) eyes, Jaime couldn't finish his thought. He sighed and left the threat unsaid. Jaime had never felt more confused about anything in his life.

That evening, Jaime attacked the castle. By dawn the next morning, River Run had been retaken but instead of feeling victorious, Jaime felt terrible. "Have you done what you set out to do? Have you gotten what you wanted?" your voice came from the doorway. The guards had brought you into the grand room and left you for Jaime to deal with. Jaime looked over his shoulder. You were standing there, your chained hands in front of you and a look of sadness painting your features. It was then that Jaime truly realized just how horrible he was.

He'd used you for leverage, a woman that had done nothing to wrong him or his family. He'd harmed others that had done nothing. His family was the one that always seemed to instigate. "No," he finally answered you. He walked over to where you were standing and unlocked the chained on your wrists. "I want an end to all this. I want to live, not merely survive. I want to right the wrongs that I have committed, though I do not know how."

You gave the Lannister a small smile, knowing that he would not say such things if the two of you weren't alone. "I do not know, Ser Jaime, but I believe the fact that you merely wish for these things is a start," you told him. Jaime glanced down at you. You were filthy, but there was something about you that managed to shine through all that dirt and grime. Perhaps it was your compassion and understanding. Jaime had little experience with it, but found himself attracted to it all the same.

There was a fluttering in his stomach and chest as he looked at you and every time you spoke, it was music to his ears. Was this what love felt like? Real love? Jaime didn't know, but he did know that he was going to try and do everything in his power to make his mistakes right, starting by making amends with you. "Y/N...I am so sorry. Forgive me." For what was probably the first time in his life, Jaime Lannister knew exactly what he needed to do and he was going to do it. Not for his family, not for his sister or her children but for you. And for himself.