Love Realized (Daario Naharis x fem!reader)

You watched from the corner of the room as Daario spoke with the queen. Daario Naharis. Commander of the Second Sons, known lover of the queen and the man you secretly still loved. You'd had him for your own once before, but that was before the Queen Daenerys took him as a lover. He fell in love with her and it was obvious. So, as the queen's handmaiden, all you could do was witness their banter until the queen dismissed you.

Daario's gaze flickered over to you for a brief moment. He'd always had feelings for you, although he wasn't sure what those feelings were. Since Daenerys invited him into her bed, Daario's thoughts had become consumed with everything about her. "Leave us, Y/N," Daenerys ordered softly. You smiled at your queen, gave a quick bow and left the room. You were eager to put some distance between Daario and yourself.

It been that way for months and, when the queen disappeared on her dragon, Daario went after her. You thought the time away from him would harden your heart, but as they say, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." His absence merely made you long for him more, but you tried to convince yourself that you couldn't have him. He belonged with the queen. By her side, not yours. Now, they had returned and Daenerys planned to go immediately to Westeros. You sighed as you entered your chambers. You'd have to begin preparations soon.

Meanwhile, Daario sat gazing at the empty space in front of him, stunned. Daenerys had just told him, in no uncertain terms, that he was not going to accompany her to Westeros. It stung more than anything Daario had ever experienced. He left the palace and sought out a tavern. He needed to drink.

For weeks, that's what Daario did. He drank. He never got drunk, in case Daenerys needed him, but the longer he thought on it, the more Daario realized something. He didn't truly love Daenerys. Not the way he thought he did anyway. As realization hit him, Daario decided he needed to act. The night before Daenerys was due to leave, Daario burst into the palace and ran down the corridors looking for something. Well, someone.

"Daario Naharis. I thought we discussed this," Daenerys voice echoed along the halls. Daario stopped mid run and bowed slightly. "My queen. I have not come for you. I have been pondering and there is someone else I desire to see." Daenerys quirked a brow but allowed Daario to pass her. She watched with a knowing look as he ran passed.

Daario quickly found the chambers he was looking for and rapped loudly on the door. "One moment," a tired voice came from within. The door opened a moment later to reveal a very tired looking you. "Daario? What in Seven Hells do you want at this hour?" Daario chuckled at you harshness, knowing you didn't mean it. He gently pushed passed you into the room.

"This isn't easy for me, so I ask that you listen and not speak," he began. You sighed and he took it as a sign to continue, "I have made a horrible mistake." He watched your tired face as he spoke. Even as sleepy as you looked, you were still beautiful. Your (h/c) locks sticking up in all directions and your eyes drooping slightly only made it more difficult for Daario. "I'm sorry. Did you say you made a mistake? The great Daario Naharis admitting a fault?"

He glared at you. Even tired, you couldn't stop the cheek. "I asked you to let me finish. I was wrong. I thought I felt something for someone when I did not." You quirked a brow at him. It wasn't like Daario not get right to the point and he never danced around the fact that he had been Daenerys' lover, at least not with you. "What do you mean, Daario?" Daario took a step closer to you. "I realized that, even though I thought I was in love with Daenerys, I was not."

Without a word, Daario wrapped his arm around you, pulling you into him so his chest touched yours. You felt your heartbeat quicken as you looked into his dark eyes. Before you could answer him, Daario's lips were on yours, his beard lightly scratching your cheeks and chin. He tasted of wine and you never wanted to stop kissing him. Everything you'd imagined it would be, was nothing compared to what kissing Daario really was like. It was raw and passionate and yet surprisingly gentle all at the same time.

When you pulled away for air, he rested his forehead on yours. "I leave on the morrow with the queen, Daario," you said softly when you caught your breath. "I know. I wish you were not," he told you. You opened your eyes and found him already looking at you. "As do I, but I cannot leave Daenerys' service. I have no family." Daario sighed and kissed you again. As his lips molded to yours, thoughts of your impending separation from him floated to the back of your mind. All that mattered right now was that you were with him. You were with the man that loved you.

U