In Her Defense (Sandor Clegane x fem!reader)

Joffrey was a cruel and sadistic ruler. Everyone knew it, but what they didn't know was that his servants had it worse. Of the servants, you got the worst of it all. You were Joffrey's personal maid and, in his eyes, you could never do anything right. Every day, it was something new. You simply took it in stride, waiting to break down until the end of the day. You needed the job to support your ailing father, so you said nothing and you never expected anyone else to either until the one day that someone did.

You were cleaning Joffrey's chambers when the door burst open, startling you. You jumped and dropped the water basin in the process. "You stupid girl!" the boy-king screamed at you, crossing the room in a few steps. "How could you be so careless?!" He raised his hand to hit you and you cringed away, waiting for the slap that never came.

"Your Grace, ya don't want to do that," Sandor spoke, causing Joffrey to stop in shock. Sandor never said anything against his king. Joffrey turned to face his guard, a look of surprise and annoyance on his face. "And why not?" he snapped. "Ya hurt her and you'll never get another maid in here. Word will spread that you're nothin' more than a mad dog. No one respect a mad dog," Sandor replied, his words becoming softer as he spoke.

Joffrey growled slightly before turning back to look at you. "Get her out of my sight," he said lowly. He moved behind you and gave you a little push toward Sandor. You stumbled and he caught you easily. He took you by the elbow and pulled you from the room. "Are ya alright?" he growled lowly as the two of you left the room. You nodded.

"Good. I'm taking ya some place safe. Ya stay there and wait for me to come back," he said, leaving no room for argument. You said nothing as you let him lead you through the corridors to wherever he thought was safe. Once inside, Sandor gently pushed you in and closed the door, leaving you alone. You walked around the room, looking at everything, not that there was much. It only took you a moment to realize that this was Sandor's chambers.

A few moments later, Sandor came back. "Joffrey?" you asked quietly. "He doesn't want ya anymore." You nodded, knowing that would be the case. You sighed heavily, willing the tears to stay down. "I needed this. My father..." you trailed off, unable to finish the sentence without crying. "Ya still have a job." You whipped your head to look at him. He simply shrugged and said, "You've been assigned as my chambermaid now." You looked up at the man towering over you and smiled for the first time in what seemed like forever. Gazing down at you, Sandor had never been so glad that he'd gone to someone's defense.