Marriage of Escape(Oberyn Martell x fem!Lannister reader)

"Surely you jest, Uncle," Jaime protested, resting a hand on your shoulder. You stood there, your mouth open in shock, feeling slightly betrayed by your own father. Your cousins, Jaime and Cersei were standing on either side of you. You couldn't even find your voice to argue with your father. "He is not. This is the only way to preserve any ounce of alliance between our family and the Martells. Y/N will marry Prince Oberyn Martell. He will arrive in two moons and the wedding shall be held shortly after," Tywin told his children. Still, you couldn't bring yourself to say anything.

You'd heard about Oberyn Martell and there was a part of you that was terrified at the idea of marrying him. Then, there was a small part of you that was rejoicing. You loved your family, truly you did, but they tended to be extremely over protective. Especially Jaime and Cersei. The twins treated you like a sister which meant they made sure you were well taken care of and safe at all hours of the day. It was nice to feel safe, but at the same time, you needed space. Maybe, with Oberyn, you would get that.

"You cannot be serious. The Martells are no friend of our family. Oberyn will treat her horribly," Cersei argued. You kept your eyes on your father and uncle. You didn't want to reveal the bit of delight you felt at the prospect of leaving the terrible city and escaping your family. "Y/N, do you have anything to say?" Jaime's voice snapped you from your thoughts. You shook your head. "What is there to say? I know my father is doing what is best for me and our family. May I be excused?" You father nodded and you turned to leave the room.

When the doors closed behind you, you finally let the smile you'd be holding back break out. You could still hear your family arguing back and forth, but you weren't interested in hearing what they had to say. You practically skipped to your chambers. Were you nervous? Absolutely. But you were more than excited about meeting Oberyn.

*time skip brought to you by Drogon*

You were waiting with your father when Oberyn arrived. He gave your father a curt nod but, when he turned to you, a smile spread across his face. "My lady." You curtsied the way you had been taught your whole life. As you rose from your curtsy, your eyes scanned the body of the man your were betrothed to. When you reached his dark eyes, you found them doing the same to you, unabashedly. "Please allow me to escort you to the Red Keep, my prince," you offered. The grin never left his face as he nodded and offered you his arm.

Once you reached the Keep, Oberyn turned to you. "Perhaps you would care to show me around this vast place. I am certain you know it like the back of your lovely hand." Oberyn's accented voice was like music to you. It nearly put you in a trance. "Of course, my prince." Your father narrowed his eyes, but left the two of you alone. As soon as he was out of sight, you truly studied Oberyn's features. The first thing you noticed was that he had very kind eyes.

"Do you see something that intrigues you, my lady?" he asked. You could hear the humor in his voice. You smiled. "Yes. You intrigue me. It is no secret that you despise Lannisters so why, of all the women in the world, did you agree to marry one? To marry me?" Oberyn shrugged. "Perhaps because I have heard the stories of your beauty and, more importantly, your kindness. I am also aware of how your cousins keep you close. You are not even free to explore your own home by yourself. Such things do not happen in Dorne."

Your heart nearly jumped with exhilaration. Was he truly offering you the escape you desired? "My prince, I too have heard stories of your bravery and compassion and, of course, your various appetites." Oberyn threw his head back and laughed, heartily. "Do these things frighten you?" You took a moment to ponder your answer. "A little. But not of you. I am afraid I will not be a good wife to you. That I will disappoint you," you lowered your head to look down at the ground.

Oberyn clicked his tongue and gently lifted your chin up until he could see your eyes. "Your family has told you some horrible things about me, have they not?" There was no anger in his voice, only slight irritation. You wanted to shake your head. To deny the accusation. However, you knew somehow that Oberyn would be able to tell you were lying. "Yes." He smiled softly and you continued, "They believe you will harm me to get revenge for something. I do not know what."

He dropped his hand from your chin and glared. You could see that he was angry, but you weren't afraid. You were intrigued by the passion you saw bubbling under the surface. "Rest assured, Y/N that I would never harm you and I will protect you from anyone who wishes to do so." You blinked in surprise. He'd only just met you a few moments ago and yet, he was already so fiercely protective of you. Were all Dornish men the same or was it merely the prince?

"I know your father and uncle wish for our wedding to take place within the next moon. I believe the sooner the better. I can get you out of this retched city and to our home in Dorne where you will be cherished and loved. Taught to defend yourself and given the freedom your family refuses to give you. Would you consent to marrying me sooner rather than later, flower?" Once again, his voice had you completely mesmerized and you agreed before you could even register what he was saying.

When you realized that he'd already given you a term of endearment, you flushed and glanced down at your feet again. His hand went to your chin again. "Y/N, flower, do not turn your face away from me. I wish to know how you feel about everything." You gazed at him in wonder. "Now, shall we inform your family of our intentions?" You nodded once more before giggling. "I should show you your chambers first to meet your new maid or they will wonder what we've been doing all this time." Oberyn laughed again and consented.

As you walked with him, the two of you laughed and talked. You gazed up at the man who was to be your husband and beamed. Your marriage to him may not be started by love, but perhaps love would grow. For now, you were grateful you had been betrothed to such a compassionate and caring man. A lover more than a fighter. Not only would you be able to escape King's Landing and your family, you would be able to escape the confines of your Lannister upbringing. You would have a husband who, even if he did not love you, would still care for you and help you learn to protect yourself. You would be free.