Fine Line Between Love and Hate(Sandor x fem!reader)

Sandor Clegane. The Hound was the man you hated with all your might. You didn't get along and you couldn't agree on anything. He had no problems expressing his displeasure at you presence in the Keep . You had no issue telling him off for his gruff and brutal nature. Whenever you were in the same room together, the tension was almost tangible. You hated him, he hated you. End of story. Or was it? Now you weren't so sure.

As Cersei's handmaiden, your days were long and taxing and today was no different. So, when Cersei had bid you gone for the evening, you made your way to the tavern, determined to drink your stress away. However, you wouldn't get the chance. You were only half way through your first ale when it happened. The event that changed your and Sandor's relationship forever.

You had your tankard of ale gripped in your hands when you saw movement from the corner of your eye. "Hello," a smooth voice said, making you look up. "Good evening." You really weren't in the mood for company, but you didn't want to be rude. "Care for some company?" You fought the urge to roll your eyes as he sat down without waiting for your answer. You instantly felt uncomfortable, but didn't say anything. You didn't feel like causing a scene. Not after the day you had.

The man immediately started flirting with you, something you weren't used to. You tried to finish your ale quickly, but not too quickly. Getting drunk really wasn't the plan. Now, you just wanted to get out of there. You drained your tankard and stood to leave, throwing a few coins on the table for the drink. You didn't get two steps before you felt a hand wrap around your arm.

"Where are you going?" You gave your best smile, although there was no emotion behind it. "I must return to the Keep. I have an early day tomorrow. Please forgive me." Your words were rushed, just trying to get away. He let go of your arm and his mouth was turned down in a frown. You opened your mouth to try and pacify him again, but you didn't get a chance.

"She's not interested," Sandor rasped making you glance over at him. You hadn't seen him enter the tavern. "Clegane...didn't realize she was taken. Especially by a dog." The man walked away before Sandor could say anything. Sandor gently took your arm and lead you from the tavern. As soon as you were outside, you turned on him.

"Who are you to interfere with my life, Sandor Clegane?!" He dropped your arm. "I just saved ya and yer reputation. Yer welcome." You cocked your head to the side, making Sandor sighed loudly. "That man? He's had every single maid in the Keep, even taken the maidenhood of a few." You lowered your gaze to the ground. "I wouldn't have gone with him."

Sandor grunted. "I know. Yer better than that." You looked up at him in surprise. Did he really believe that? "Come on. Let's get ya back to the Keep." You silently followed him back to the place you called home. Your mind was reeling. You were certain he didn't care one iota for your safety or reputation. He hated you and you hated him. Right?

After that night, Sandor avoided you. It was as if it hadn't happened. For weeks, you walked around confused, but did your job. When you did see Sandor, your eyes would meet his for a brief moment before one of you turned away. The tension that usually surrounded the two of you shifted. Now, it was more awkward than anything else and it got a bit worse when you ran into him in the training yard.

You were returning to the Keep, your arms full of random things Cersei just had to have, when you ran into something solid. Cersei's purchases hit the ground and you landed flat on your butt in the dirt. "Ya should watch where yer goin'." You looked up to see a shirtless Sandor standing over you. Your eyes widened and your face flushed as you mumbled, "Sorry." You refused to meet his gaze.

Sandor's hand came into view and you finally looked up. He arched his brow. "Are ya gonna take it or not? I don't have all day." You scoffed, but took his hand anyway letting him help you to your feet. "Thank you," you said. You were doing your best to hide the fact that you were a little nervous around him. You picked up Cersei's belongings and turned to walk away.

"Wait." You looked back at him curiously. He was holding one of your parcels in his large hands. Seeing that your arms were full, Sandor set the package down, pulled on his shirt and followed you into the Keep, package in hand.

The two of you were silent most of the way to the Keep. You finally worked up the courage to say something. "I never did thank you. For what you did for me in the tavern. You didn't have to do that." He grunted in response making you chuckle. He gazed down at you, surprised that you actually laughed. "Yer welcome."

More awkward silence followed, but then you asked, "Why do you hate me, Clegane?" He stopped walking. "What makes ya think I hate ya?" You looked at him and laughed. "Are you serious? We are always at each other's throats. You hate me." He snorted. "I don't hate ya. Yer the one that hates me." You shook your head.

"I admit I did hate you. Now, I'm not so sure. You showed me a different side of you. A side that wasn't so brutal. So gruff. There is a part of you that is good and kind. I would like to get to know you. The real you." He didn't say anything for a moment. You were watching as every emotion imaginable crossed his features. You gave him a small smile and turned away, leaving him standing there in confusion.

That evening, when Cersei dismissed you for the night, you let out a happy sigh. You hadn't been focused on your job that day. Your mind kept returning to your conversation with Sandor. Apparently, he didn't hate you, but he never said he liked you. Still, you'd meant what you said about wanting to get to know him.

"Join me for a drink?" Sandor asked, making you jump. He was leaning up against a pillar outside Cersei's chambers when you left her for the night. "What?" He chuckled lowly. "A drink." You nodded and followed him away from Cersei's chambers to the kitchens. You knew they'd be empty at that time of night. You sat down across from him as he poured you both a drink.

"You said you didn't hate me," you began after a few sips, "but you act like you do." He nodded once, but didn't elaborate until he finished his drink. "I find ya attractive, but naive. Ya deserve someone better than me, so I tried ta make ya hate me. It's smarter for ya." You shook your head. "That's really not for you to decide, is it? We could have avoided all those fights and all the tension if you had just talked to me."

"Talkin' isn't one of my talents." You laughed. "Guess I'm just going to have to get a few drinks in you to loosen your tongue." His laughed echoed through the empty kitchen. "Maybe." The two of you spent the rest of the evening drinking and talking. Sandor definitely held his drink better than you did because it didn't take you long to get drunk.

Sandor picked you up and carried you bridal style to your chambers. Outside the door, he set you down and you took his hand in yours. You gave it a squeeze. "Thank you, Sandor. Will you break your fast with me tomorrow?" He blinked rapidly and nodded. You smiled and entered your room, knowing that the sooner you went to sleep, the sooner you would see Sandor again. Sandor stood outside for moment, deep in thought. How had that happened? Despite his efforts it had. How had you crossed that fine line between love and hate?