Direwolf Pt. 2 - Loss of a Friend (Sandor Clegane x fem!Stark reader)

(WARNINGS: Blood&death. Typical GoT. A teeny bit of fluff)

The noise in the tavern was almost unbearable when Joffrey came running in, screaming like a child. Sansa was right on his heels. You paused in your conversation with Jory Cassel to look in the direction of the royal family. Between sobs, Joffrey told his mother that Arya's direwolf, Nymeria had attacked him. "That doesn't sound right," you muttered. "Hold your tongue, my lady. You do not want to upset the Queen," Jory whispered to you.

You heard Minerva howling outside just before Arya came in, yelling loudly. She was followed by Sandor. You gave him a small smile before you noticed the blood on his otherwise shining armor. You didn't get a chance to ask before your father showed up and the king ordered the room silent. "What is the meaning of this, Your Grace?" your father asked.

"Joffrey says your daughter's pet attacked him." Cersei quickly interjected, "Nearly took his arm off. Those wolves are dangerous. They should be put down before they cause any more damage." You could hear the fake tone of concern in her voice and your eyes went wide when the king did not argue. "No, please, Your Grace," Sansa began begging before you could, "Lady won't hurt anyone. I'll keep her chained up. Please."

"Minerva," you whispered harshly, moving to go outside. Jory's arm wrapped around your waist, effectively holding you in place. "No, my lady. You will only make things worse," he whispered. "Go take care of it, Clegane." You felt the tears pricking your eyes when Sandor simply nodded and went back outside. "No, You Grace. I shall do it. The wolves are my responsibility," your father stated. You glared at him.

Another howl came from Minerva as Sansa began crying. She ran up to her room. You tried to break free of Jory's hold when your father followed Sandor outside. "Stop." You ignored him, wiggling away from him. You took off before he could grab you again. You heard a yelp from outside. You went as fast as your legs could carry you, praying you could save Minerva.

You didn't care about the mud and dust gathering on the hem of your dress. Your only thought was saving your direwolf. Your friend. When Sandor came into view, you felt a rage you'd never felt before. His sword was dripping with blood. Without thinking, you practically threw yourself at him and began pounding you fists against his chest. You weren't saying anything. Just pounding on his chest and crying, ignoring the pain in your hands from striking the metal.

Sandor dropped his sword and grabbed your wrists to make you stop. "That's enough, woman," he rasped. Another yelp was heard, indicating that your father had just put Lady down. "How could you?" you finally spoke through the tears. You fought to hit him again, but he held your arms firmly in place. "Stop that. I didn't do it." You stopped moving.

"Y-You didn't? B-but the b-blood on your sword." He shook his head. "Not hers. Found a fox nearby. The blood should be enough ta fool the queen." Your bottom lip began to quiver again. "Then where's Minerva?" you asked, fearful of the answer. "Had ta let her go. She's safe from Joffrey and the queen. That's all that matters." Realizing you were done fighting, Sandor let go of your wrists.

"She's gone?" He nodded. "Why, Sandor? Why didn't you kill her?" He arched a brow. "Why would I do that?" You sniffled, wrapping your arms around yourself. "Because you were ordered to." Sandor rolled his eyes. "I don't always do what they tell me ta. Not if it's gonna hurt ya." You felt your face heat up. Over the course of the journey, you and Sandor had gotten close, but you always thought your feelings for him were deeper than his for you. Apparently, you were wrong.

You threw your arms around him and held him to you. He tensed at first but he soon relaxed and wrapped his large arms around you. "Thank you," you whispered. He didn't say anything, just stood there awkwardly holding you. As you stood there in his arms, you silently thanked Minerva. Even though your friend was lost to you now, you knew you weren't alone. You had Sandor. All thanks to your direwolf.