Chapter Forty: Game Plan

Emma's POV
Hayes showed up at my house an hour after I messaged him to do so. His hair was ruffled madly, his eyes blank and expressionless.

"Hayes." I breathed, looking at him. "Don't 'Hayes' me woman!" He yelled. "I've been texting you all day! We were supposed to meet at lunch today in the library! You never showed up! And I couldn't find you anywhere in the school and-"

"HAYES!" I yelled, making him stop rambling. "Listen, I'm sorry I wasn't answering you! I was really worried about Sam! She's gone through a lot these past few days and I'm really worried for her!" I said, tears falling off my cheeks.

Hayes and I never yelled at each other. Ever.

"THAT'S NOT AN EXCUSE!!" He yelled. "WHEN I TEXT YOU YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO ANSWER!"

"Oh! I'M SORRY THAT I CANT WAIT AROUND AT YOUR BECK AND CALL ALL THE TIME!! I HAVE A LIFE TOO YOU KNOW!! AND I DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING!! IF I WANT TO ANSWER YOU THAN I WILL!! IF NOT, I WON'T!" I yelled back, my face going red.

"I'm outta here." Hayes said, walking out and slamming the door. "Good!" I yelled back, watching him go. I slide down the wall, crying into my knees.

Suddenly, I got a text.

Sam: Icecream?

I sighed as I looked at the screen with blurred eyes. I thumbed in a response, and dropped my phone beside me; wiping away my tears.

Samantha's POV
I rubbed my hands together anxiously, waiting for Emma to show up. Nash had just texted me what had happened. Poor Emma. She didn't deserve this. She was a sweet girl. And Hayes had no right to get mad at her for not answering.

We all know she was preoccupied with homework and studying. She was really nervous about the big math test, just like me. But today it seemed that something else was bothering her. Something big.

"Emma!" I said, standing up from the bench as I saw my friend walk towards me. I opened my arms for her, and she gladly accepted. She cried in my shoulder, saying things I couldn't quite understand.

"Shh...." I said, rubbing her back. "Everything's going to be okay. Now, tell me exactly what happened. Slowly."

She nodded, and launched into story. I quietly listened, holding my friends hand as she explained.

"Hayes had no reason to yell at you." I assured her. "You don't have to answer him! You were busy! Now, I know there's something else that's bothering you other than this math test coming up. Tell me." I said, looking her in the eyes.

It hurt me to see her so broken and torn, her eyes looking vulnerable as if in any second, she would snap like a twig.

"I'm so worried about you! The girls are all after you! I'm afraid you're going to get hurt." Emma said, her tears stopping slowly.

"I'll be fine. And don't think I don't know what Shawn, Cameron and Grace are doing. I know they're trying to protect me. But I can honestly handle it myself. Besides, we have bigger matters than stupid high school drama. We need to find a way to get the tournament back on. And to get me to pass that test so I can play." I said.

"But, if you knew what Shawn, Cameron and Grace were doing, why didn't you stop them?" She asked. I sighed. "I don't know. Truth is, I feel safer when someone's there with me. Just for right now though. It'll get better." I reassured her.

"But you shouldn't feel that way!! You don't deserve to feel targeted in your own school!" She protested, her face slowly getting it's colour back.

"I'll be fine. Now. About this tournament problem." I said, smiling.

----

One hour and forty crumpled up pieces of paper later, Emma and I had finally come up with some ideas. They weren't great, but it's all we had.

"I think I like number one." I said, reading over the options again. Emma giggled. "Of course you do! You came up with it!!"

I smiled. "I am a genius, aren't I?" Emma rolled her eyes. "I like it too though. I'm sure Skylynn would love to help!"

I gave her a sympathetic look as I saw her face once she realized it probably wasn't a good idea going around their house any time soon.

"Don't worry Em. I can get her to help. Nash and I are kind of like besties now." I said, smiling. Emma rolled her eyes again. "Please! You are not! Just because he used to like you doesn't mean you're his best friend! If anything it's either Emily or Cameron that can help us. And Emily isn't down yet, so..." She said, trailing off, looking at me.

I smirked evilly. "Oh. I think I can get Cameron to do that."

----

"Caammmerrrooooonnnn!" I said, whining over the phone. "Can you please ask him?"

I heard Cameron's breath over the phone. "Sam! I'm in the middle of my run! Can't you just call him?" I heard him press a road crossing button as he sighed.

"I can't. I've tried but he won't pick up! I think it's because of the whole Hayes and Emma thing." I couldn't see him, but I pictured Cameron face scrunch up in confusion. "What Emma and Hayes thing?"

"I'll tell you about it later. I really need this to work! The basketball tournament needs us!" I said. Cameron sighed.

"Fine. But you better explain everything when I come over to tutor you. I'll go to Nash's right now." Cameron said, and I heard him start to run again.

"Okay! Thanks babe. Love you." I said, hanging up. Emma smiled. "Great. I'll call Grace. She's probably with Shawn."

"She is. Shawn took her out to a movie a while ago. They're probably back at the house. We should head over there. That's where the plan will start." I said, smiling until I saw Emma's nervous smile.

"Emma, I know it's going to be hard, but I need you to get along with Hayes. Act like it didn't happen. Just for awhile. If this is going to work we need everyone's help." I said, grabbing her hand. "We won't start the plan until tomorrow. We'll do it over the weekend. I feel like you should talk to Hayes."

"But-" Emma started but I shook my head. "Emma. I know it's going to be hard. I've been through stuff like this. Ever since a few months ago, my whole world flipped upside down. But we need this."

"No." Emma said, standing up. "You need this. I won't talk to Hayes, but I will help you. I'm just not ready to talk about it. I'm already under so much stress. Please," Emma said, tears in her eyes. "Don't make me talk to him."

I nodded. "I won't. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have pushed you." I said, hugging her. "I gotta go. Cameron's coming to tutor me soon and he's probably really confused. You should go home and relax. I'll call you later."

She nodded, and walked off.

This better work.

A/N
Hey guys! New update!! What do you think the plan is? Will Hayes and Emma resolve the fight?

Thank you guys for being so patient! The books almost over, there's probably only 5-10 chapters left!

Love you guys!!

Xoxo,

-Kat