Chapter Seventy Five: Carnival Pt.2

Samantha's POV
Once Cameron and I arrived at my house, we hopped in my car heading for the carnival.

"Where is this place anyway?" I asked, turning off my street. "Near the centre of town. You know where the old pizza place is?" Cameron asked. The scenery clicked in my head as I nodded.

"It's in the huge back field, the one they use for town parties and things like that." He added.

"That'll take forever to get there though." I said, pointing to the pile up of cars that occupied the usually empty, and useless, traffic lights.

"Not if you know a short cut." Cameron smiled. "Okay, well I don't." I said, sighing as the car stopped behind a huge pickup truck.

"Switch places with me." Cameron said. "What?" I asked. "Just get out of the car."

I followed his directions, getting out of the car and walking to the passenger side.

Cameron slide into the drivers seat, adjusting the seat back to make room for his legs. Once I was in, Cameron began to back up out of the line and turn onto a dirt road.

The road was walled on either side by trees, making the exact location of where we were driving a mystery. The gravel path jutted up with rocks and twigs, threatening to take the bottom of my car off with a single swipe.

The sun began to set, the warm rays disappearing behind the tall tops of the trees. The sky was still blue, though a light orangey-red began to burst out through the clouds.

As the car shook from the twisting path, I turned to look at Cameron. The sun splashed at his face, making his jawline more defined. His hair fluffed out in odd directions, still a mess from when he tackled me into the ditch.

"Is this even a legal road?" I asked, coming out of my daydream. Cameron shrugged as he rolled down his window, leaning his elbow out.

"Maybe. I just come down here to beat traffic jams." He said. My hair blew up as the sweet smelling wind gusted through the window.

"Where does this even lead?" I asked, leaning over in an attempt to see past the lines of trees. I expected to see an exit soon, but only more trees appeared.

"Just off Provincial Avenue." Cameron explained. "It's an old road that cuts off behind the bank. There are some houses up ahead, though I'm sure half of them are abandoned."

Sure enough, old 70 style bungalows appeared from the tree line. Some looked run down; covered with graffiti and the windows smashed, while others housed new sidings and old styled cars. Probably those that have retired but couldn't care enough to live in a retirement home.

The road continued on for a bit, before breaking off behind the town bank. Cameron rolled off the road to the left, reaching the parking lot in less then 5 minutes.

"See?" He said, putting his hand on the back of my chair and turning his head as he backed up. He pulled in perfectly and parked the car, smiling. "Told ya we'd get there."

I rolled my eyes, stepping out of the car. I sighed, breathing in the fresh spring air which carried the smell of popcorn and cotton candy. Suddenly, my eyes darted out of my head as I saw Shawn and Grace walk right past my car, inches away from me.

I waited 5 seconds, standing perfectly still, hoping they didn't see me.

Luckily, Grace was to busy laughing at a joke Shawn had said and Shawn was digging through his wallet to find money for admission.

"That." Cameron said, stepping out and slamming the car door, "was close." I nodded, taking his hand as he lead me through a strategic maze of cars to avoid Shawn and Grace.