166. Life In A Dystopian World (Part 1)

Athena was staring into the deep dark distance while standing at her window. She was looking at the city lights and admiring the view. It was such a beautiful sight. The night was dark but not silent. The city was much alive even though it was hours past midnight. The Arkansans didn't seem to have any intentions of going to sleep any time soon. Afterall Dante had lifted the night time curfew which used to last from sunset to sunrise before Dante changed some of the rules.... only for her.

Now the Arkansans were partying in the newly built night clubs and were holding drinking and dancing events next to Mississippi river all night long. The game arenas were also packed for most nights till very late.

Alot had changed in the past week ever since Dante had overtaken the world and the war had ended. But not everything had changed. Almost all outdated Ronas laws still existed. The captive divisions across Arkansas and around the globe in all territories were still packed with prisoners whom were tormented, awaiting punishment or were enrolled on conversion programs if they were powerful enough to be worth those lengthy programs to change their loyalty. No one had any choices. All the citizens of all territories had to give in to Ronas laws or had to face the consequences. It made Athena heart broken at what her blood match was doing. He was in control of everything except her beloved land, Alaska and its citizens. He still hadn't attack them. She had placed her protective enchantments on that land repelling the enemies making it hard for Dante to penetrate them. Alaska was safe for now. She wished she could protect the world with that Marisyan era necklace Tiberious had gifted to her. But even her powers had their limits. She could only protect a certain size area with that spell for a limited time.

At that moment the Alaskans were the lucky ones but at the cost of remaining Dante's nemesis that he had every intention of destroying one day. The Alaskans were officially enemies of Arkansas and they couldn't leave their land, neither could anyone escape to them. Dante had placed many enforcers at the borders to catch traitors crossing to Alaska and also to arrest trespassers from Alaska. Still many tried. It was the hope of many of the weak and lower classes to escape to Alaska and be free of Ronas laws but it was close to impossible.

Then she felt it. Dante was there. He had sensed she was still awake. She felt his hard chest against her back as he wrapped his arms around her. She felt his soft kisses on her collarbone. She felt his hot breath against her ears as he whispered " My love.... I see you are awake. Tell me what goes on in this brain of yours. I have many powers but reading your mind is close to impossible."

Athena smiled weakly and spoke without turning " I think that's a blessing. You have taken everything from me. My free will, my beliefs, my career, my parents are all gone from my life. You have left nothing for me. The only right I have is thinking freely."

Dante tightened his hold on Athena's waist and growled " You have nerve my love. You really do. You have betrayed me so many times ever since we met in that cabin. You kept running away from me, your blood match because of your outdated beliefs. You are still defiant and believe you haven't done anything wrong. You call it acts on your free will. I call it betrayal. Don't ever sound this ungrateful darling because I might take away all the allowances I have made because of you in my life. Then you can see what leaving you with nothing would mean."

Athena sighed " allowances? You mean the rights people in your territories should be entitled to automatically? In my world that means rights. And entitlements . Not Allowances."

Dante spoke " Well your world is not like mine. At the moment you live in my world. Look what has been left of your world? Your darling Alaska would soon be on its knees bowing to me like how it should have been when other territories fell. But of course I can wait a bit longer for your enchantments protecting that cursed place to expire......"