14. The Lonely Commander

Demetrious was back in his bedroom standing next to his window looking outside at the sunset. He was used to this view now. This room was his prison for the past three months and the sunset was his least favourite sight.

Demetrious closed his eyes and thought back to his childhood. How he used to enjoy playing with his friends in the forests at night. The days when people partied and enjoyed themselves at gatherings after sunset around the Ronas waterfall. The days he could aid the freedom fighters near the borders when the few border control guards were diverted by him. Freedom fighters found nighttime most convenient to break the seals at the borders and enter Arkansas. it was also much easier for them to blend into the crowed at night time to collect information by spying on the residents especially those who worked for the Ronas dynasty. But now there was only darkness and fear after sunset.

All hope of any possible resistance in Arkansas was lost. Dante had declared extension to this martial law three days ago when he had returned. The worst part was that from Dante's point of view, such curfew was not even for Capturing freedom fighters as Xavier had intended. Dante saw any outsiders entering his territories as good as dead. They couldn't survive for long. It took a lot of power to break out. Only if an Arkansan born was involved, there was a chance of escape. After all the descendants of Ronas's army which were hand picked personally by him using the sphere of time were mainly now residing on this soil.

Dante may have hid his true agenda about agreeing with xavier's martial law but Demetrious knew him too well. Dante's capture in Quebec had fuelled his hate for vampires and he could never admit to his commanders how much his capture had affected him to hold a grudge.

It was common knowledge that even though, vampires could live in daylight, The call of the night was too tempting for them. Each vampire had to at least have an outing at night once a week to help their system feeling at ease. The intention was now clearly to capture, torment and condemn all resident vampires to a lifetime of servitude. Dante was more than happy to extend the martial law indefinitely as a front to his plans. Dante had now even put martial law down as a condition for the agreements with the central territory who's leader had surrendered to serve the Ronas dynasty. There was no doubt that Dante intended to bring misery to all vampires resident in any territory he conquered from now on.

Demetrious shook his head in disbelief at hearing Dante's plans for conquer. When Dante had brought him back, he had ordered Alexander to treat him and make him aware of the contents of their earlier meeting. After all Demetrious was a top commander now which meant that there was no longer requirement for him to be confined within these walls. In fact he was going to be initiated into his role in a few hours. He knew it was a big risk to work for a man he had deep disagreements with and he was fully aware of the horrific consequences if he had even one slip up as a commander and even implied defying his brother in public in any way. But still he preferred pretending to serve Dante to his living hell in the past three months.

Demetrious had his mother to thank mostly for his house arrest. Leona's fears for Demetrious's safety especially for the danger of assassins had lead to his demise. In fact, Leona influenced most of the decisions her husband, Eros made. Leona was a well known powerful witch but luckily she was not so interested in politics and ruling at all therefore Eros was mostly at the front advising Dante and his commanders. Leona never showed any emotions unless her sons were affected in any way. She was a cold blooded assassin with great skills. Everyone feared her, even Demetrious.

Demetrious had so many dark memories of his mother's horrific extreme methods in treating the weak to the point that he welcomed solitude. He did not like being in presence of either of his parents and any noble families who his parents frequently invited over most nights. His three month house arrest might have saved him from socialising with the nobles but still it was a living hell because he had to endure unwanted visitors.