48. Initiation Dance (Part 2)

Zachary had found himself waiting for Zelina to get ready for the second time on the same day. He was walking impatiently back and forth in the living room of his brothers mansion and thinking hard about today's events. The interviews had finished 3 hours ago and all recruits were dismissed to go back to their residence and get changed for the Initiation Dance.

Suddenly Beatrix, their young governess came downstairs in an elegant dress. Zachary smiled " Uh you look stunning Beatrix. I can't believe my sister is still not ready. Xanthos would be here soon and I have to go pick up Bethany."

Beatrix smiled " Uh, she is coming in a few minutes. But before she comes down, are you going to tell me what the matter is? Why are you so thoughtful tonight. This is just a dance event. Nothing to be nervous about. What is really bothering you Zachary?"

Zachary looked away Beatrix could read him really well. Ironically she was like a kind older sister he never had. Even she understood things about him that his own brother Sean didn't. Zachary contemplated whether to open up. Could he trust her?

Zachary gave in finally and looked up; " Uh, Beatrix. You know me well. There are many things running through my mind right now. Firstly, I can't believe I have asked Bethany to accompany Me. I had to do it because i had almost hugged a girl that she hates and i dint want her to target her. Her heart is out of stone. She hardly has any feelings at all. All she feels is hatred to the weak and love to the Ronas protocols and those who abide by it. I really hope she falls into someone elses arms tonight who at least shares her views on brutality. How am I supposed to entertain her for a whole evening. This is a terrible mess."

Beatrix sighed " Zachary don't worry yourself. Like I said this is only a dance. This is your first date with her. Just try hard to make conversation with her and then if you have no agreements surely she would read between the lines and back off a little bit too. Your first priority is pleasing the commander superiors at the event. Make sure you act professional and serious. Try to make Sean proud. You know how much you and Zelina's future mean to him. He wants the best for you. Dating and relationships happen by themselves. Leave al that to faith. But your career is in the hands of the commander superiors. Act the part and don't ever show weakness to secure good reports and high recommendations from them. Master would do his postponed interviews soon and you must perform like Edwin did. Master must appoint you as a junior commander at first glance. Edwin was on your year. You are even stronger than him. Show them you are worth recruiting Zachary."

Zachary nodded but he spoke with irritation in his voice. " Well if by all this, you mean that I should turn a blind eye to what goes on around me then I may disappoint you and Sean. There are things I find hard to ignore. I don't call it empathy. I call it common sense. Well when going with Bethany I would try my best to force a smile. After all like you said its only one night. It's a first date. It could end tonight. But Bethany comes with a package. I have to endure sitting at the same table as Xanthos and his gang. How can I keep silent if I see Xanthos's gang members treating others rough. Especially defenceless girls."

Beatrix narrowed her eyes " Wait a minute. Do you mean defenceless girls or a defenceless girl? Is there someone who has caught your eye. Tell me Zachary. I promise not to judge you. I just want to help. You can trust me."

Zachary sat down on one of the sofas in the living room and bent forwards. He was now holding his head in his hands. He took a few deep breaths and looked up. " Beatrix. Fine I tell you. But don't tell anyone. I don't want to endanger this poor girl. She deserves better. You see, there is a girl that I want to protect from Xanthos's destructive influence. Her name is Serena. She is Rowlens date tonight.

I remember her as the sweetest and most innocent looking girl in Phoenix Academy. Today just before we left the recruitment building, I witnessed how Rowlen terrorised Serena and told her that she was going to be his date. he wasn't asking. He was so rude and rough towards her. I couldn't help but feel protective of her when I heard her pleas for Rowlen to loosen his grip on her hand and stop pulling her so hard behind him. Basically he pulled her out of that building and took her dress shopping by force. Her protests were obviously ignored by Rowlen every time. He always growled at her and told her to keep quiet. I have to do something. But what can I do. I hate Serena's brother for standing by and watching with an ugly smirk on his face as his sister was pulled away. The poor girls wrist was badly bruised by the time she reached the door. If Xanthos had treated Zelina this way, I would have challenged him to a duel in a heartbeat. Xanthos maybe a lot of things, but he is not violent or disrespectful towards Zelina and that's what matters the most for me. Tell me Beatrix, how can I ignore such things around me?"