43. Future commanders (part 2)

The waiting room was getting crowded now. It was getting closer to the time for interviews to start.

There was a large table with refreshments half way in the room that split the waiting room into two. The middle class prospective enforcers were standing at the left side and the nobles whom were most likely candidates for head enforcer and commander posts were on the right side.

Zachary was standing alone in the far corner of the noble side of the room while drinking a glass of rose extract and elderflower cocktail. It was his third glass now. He felt the tension in his body. He didn't feel like it was going to a good day for him. He had a division in mind to work for but he was sure Sean was going to kill him if he suggested it. His brother had made it clear about what he wanted his younger sibling to do. What Sean had in mind for him was definitely not architecture.

" Zachary, what are you up to here all by yourself. How come you are not at the other corner where Xanthos and your sister are." It was Lorna. Alexander's cousin. She was a silent assassin who every one feared. She just did anything she wanted and how she wanted. She also liked working alone. She never showed any interest to join a noble circle just so she wouldnt restrict herself to spending time with only one group. Even Xanthos's gang hadn't managed to attract her even though the powerful circle was alluring for offering protection and respect out of fear for its small group of members. Lorna just liked to mingle around and if she felt like it she would try to blend in. That was rare of course. She mostly spent time going around harassing people or rather terrorising people until she got bored and moved onto her next target.

Zachary couldn't hide honesty from his response. " Hi Lorna. Why do you sound so upbeat today. How many trainee enforcers have you tormented today. I bet the other half of the room would run away at the sight of your shadow Lorna, so it's good you are keeping yourself hidden in this isolated corner."

" Oh, you are joyful company, aren't you Zachary? It maybe that and more actually. Take a guess for me. Who do you think just asked me to go with them to the dance tonight?"

Zachary pretended to think for a few seconds. As though taking his time to guess and planning to tease Lorna. It was easy to talk to Lorna. She was a nasty noble but she always welcomed directness. What you saw in Lorna was what you got. She never threatened anybody or planned for anyone's demise if they got on her wrong side unlike other nobles like Bethany. Lorna was dangerous but when you were dealing with her, nothing unexpected could be unleashed upon you. She would tell you off or beat you up there and then and that was it. She never held grudges. But still Zachary was careful around her and tried to sound gentle to her even though honest.

Zachary spoke with sarcasm " Uh Lorna, I can't think of anyone at all. Who in their right mind would go out with the number one assassin graduate of Phoenix academy. I think no guy would want to risk you practicing your moves on him if he wronged you on any dates. The poor soul who asked you out must really be out of their mind. They would be lucky if they survive without any broken bones especially after the dance hour at the feast tonight. You are known for your fast instincts. You may react to give them a good beating even if they as much as wrapped their arms around you for a tango. So, no sorry. I don't know who you are going with or neither do I like to find out. Tell them it was nice knowing them before the dance."

Lorna stared at Zachary with an amused expression; " Uh Zachary. You were the only person I was going to tell. But since you are playing the mean card, I have decided to keep you waiting. Oh, you are in for a surprise. You would have to wait and see for yourself then. I am gonna go now. As you said, there are a lot of fresher enforcers I could get my hands on to terrorise. Why not waste time."

As Lorna left, Zachary suddenly felt another familiar presence of a powerful female approaching him. He sighed. She was quite a handful as company. She was definitely Evelina's sibling for inheriting the same short temper and sharp vocabulary. Elisha took no nonsense from any one and was one of the hardest witches to get along with just like her sister. But right now she radiated waves of loneliness at this time. That didn't surprise Zachary at all. Elisha never responded well to company but now after Evelina's flight, people avoided Elisha. Zachary rolled his eyes as he saw the crowed parted as though a shark was coming.