67. Young Emotional Hearts

Serena was standing next to her window looking at the night life unfolding at the base. It was new for her to see anything happening outside at this time of day since martial law had been ruling at Arkansas for a while now. The day had been very long today. The young recruits had been going around all divisions trying to find out as much information about anything that could help them with their interviews. The girsl and boys had taken the bet proposed by Lorna quite seriously too. What started as a a bit of fun had turned into a fierce competition now. The big egos of some members of both groups were not allowing them to stop their preparations for even one minute. She was starting to think now that the recruits were using this bet as a way to distract themselves from the stress of meeting the master soon.

At dinner time in the dining hall, most of her fellow group members and the boys team were just too exhausted to speak. Needless to say many were even planning to cut their sleeping time and use the night time to even do more research or at least read up on the likely content of the interviews. But both groups had agreed to take some rest for a few hours in the evening for socialising and recharging their batteries.

There was so much at stake. Luckily, Serena was not related to any of the commanders but was sure, those who were like Zachary and had close relatives amongst their masters top personnel were going to be under so much more pressure. Serena sighed at the thought of Zachary. His behaviour baffled her completely. One minute he was warning off Tiberious for daring to talk to her, then next minute he acted cold and indifferent to her presence. Zachary had in fact ignored her completely whenever she had come across the other group. The only reaction she had witnessed was when Tiberious had accidentally brushed his hand on her arm when he was reaching for bread at the dining table when they had gathered for the evening meal at the residence of the dining hall. Zachary had growled after witnessing the incident and from the groans coming from Tiberious, it seemed like Zachary had kicked him from under the table. But it all had gone unnoticed by everyone around them since all at the table were occupied watching the news from Arkansas unfolding on messenger spheres which were hung from ceilings in the dining hall.

As Serena was looking around and thinking about Zachary, she nearly fell backwards at what she just saw. It was a coincidence that just in that moment she spotted non other than Zachary in the courtyard walking towards the tracker building alongside the boys group. Of course, there was a feast happening in that building since it was commander Lucia's birthday that night. The girls were going to meet in the lobby too soon. Lorna had not issued a summon call since she was busy reading and studying files she had borrowed from the fighter division about battle strategies.

A knock on the door brought Serena out of her thoughts. she cast a spell to open the door and turned to keep looking outside and following Zachary with her eyes. " Oh he is so handsome. A true gentleman too."

The sound of laughter from behind her made Serena freeze. She had totally ignored the presence the room and had just realised she had just talked out loud. She nervously turned around and saw non other than Tiberious closing the door behind him and approaching her " Oh. Serena who were you just talking about. I am afraid if your crazy admirer finds out you have eyes for another, he would go on a killing spree at this base." Tiberious then stood next to Serena and looked outside and spotted Xanthos's gang. He smirked. He knew there was only one person in that crowed that Serena could possibly be referring too.

Serebna sighed and carried on staring outside following Zachary's steps " I was referring to the admirer actually. Tell me how come you haven't gone out with the guys? Shouldn't you be in that group?"

Tiberious shrugged ; " Well, Octavian, Oberon and I are the outcasts. We may count as part of that group when we are working together to prepare for interviewes and increasing the chances of guys beating the girls on the scoreboard but other than than we are not welcome for anything else. Obviously Xanthos has to keep up appearances and sometimes pretend we are family. He even told me to follow them right in front of the other guys but I could feel the waves of hate from him. So I said no. I thought I could find something else to do with the girls and came over here. What are you guys doing."