15. Promises to Leona

Demetrious was not pleased to see his mother at all at his bedroom door. The worst part was that she was smiling at him. That was the most horrific sight of all. Leona's intentions were dark and when she smiled, it only meant demise and suffering for her target. Demetrious had tried every trick to avoid her in the past three days. His excuse was that he was still recovering from his trip to Australia. Obviously Dante had not told his mother what he had done to his little brother. Demetrious was most grateful. Otherwise his mother would have been most likely spending day and night in his room to make sure he was back to full health.

He took a deep breath and addressed his mother in the politest tone that he was capable of. "Mother, I am expecting a call from Dante. He could be calling me any minute now. I would be punished if I miss his summon call. Therefore I may sadly have to bid you good night. I will call upon you tomorrow mother. Please forgive me." Only if it was so simple to dismiss Leona.

"Nonsense my son. Dante would not harm you for spending quality time with me." And she walked inside. That was it. Demetrious was going to be wishing he had taken the offer by Edwin earlier to take a tour of his labs. But now instead of having to listen to Edwin complaining about his problems with the girls he dated on weekly basis, he had to listen to his mother. The most cold hearted woman walking the earth.

"Mother, I am most pleased to see you but this is not really the right time." Demetrious was desperate to avoid having any conversation with Leona. His mother was always demanding and used blackmail and threats as her weapon of choice to achieve her dark wishes.

Leona sat down at Demetrious's bed and looked up at him still smiling. "Oh, my son. you have been avoiding me in the last three days and you thought I would not notice your hesitance. I would have thought Xavier had taught you better than to try to deceive your mother Demetrious."

Demetrious was frozen in his spot standing in front of his mother. He knew from experience that silence meant defeat and submission in his mother's eyes so he kept quiet and hoped when his mother finished her rant, she would take her leave peacefully.

Leona stood up and looked at him with those cold grey eyes. She started walking around his room, almost circling him similar to Dante's manner.

"My son, your acceptance of the commander position in Dante's army has displeased me. I am your mother. Did you not think that I would feel distressed if both my sons were away in battle? I want you to go to Dante this instant and relieve yourself of your commitment to him."

Demetrious expected any confrontation but this was not something he anticipated at all. "Mother, Dante is my leader. I do what he wishes me to do. I would be commiting treason if I disobeyed his wish to serve him as a commander" Demetrious had to play the obedience card. He wanted to join Dante to get information on his army. If he was ever to oppose him, he had to be prepared.

Leona turned sharply to Demetrious. She walked slowly towards him and stood right in front of him looking straight into his eyes. "Demetrious, this is your last warning. The next time you attempt to lie to me, there will be consequences. Dante told me it was your suggestion to be his commander. He told me that he would never force you to join his quests and neither would he charge you with desertion if you resign yourself from your duties. So you have no excuse. You will go to him now and relieve yourself from your position."

Demetrious was speechless. What was his mother really planning for him? If she wished for him to stay at the base, what was his daily routine going to be consisting of? All these questions were racing through his mind.

"Demetrious, my son. Dante has a prophecy to fulfil. But it does not mean we as his immediate family, must stand aside and watch. He would one way or another conquer the world one day and his great kingdom will need heirs and enforcers. You will be no use to this land if you were to die. You must remain under protection keeping away from action. You are of Ronas's bloodline. It is your duty to one day marry a girl with a strong bloodline and strengthen our dynasty's future. But until that day comes and I succeed in finding a female witch worthy of our bloodline, you must continue your private training at the base. You are too young to get involved in Dante's plans."