53. The heartless Ronas

Athena had just landed at Dante's headquarters. She expected some kind of attack from Dante but none came. It seemed like he had not detected her yet. Then she noticed why. Dante was sleeping in his bed peacefully. Athena took the opportunity to get ready and She quickly formed a glass looking shield around herself for protection against sudden attacks. She sat down still holding the Jewel of Illusion tightly in her chest. As long as she possessed the jewel she could command it without effort to keep those she wished in certain distance of her. This jewel was also the lifeline of her healer coven. She was going to wait for their sign of a mission accomplished wave from Aretha. Then she could easily create a portal using the jewel to send them as far as possible from this horrific base. Only there was one flaw in this plan. Athena was not sure if leaving Dante's chambers was going to be that easy. The jewel gave her the power to control the location of those she wished but, she was unsure if she could overcome the enchantments on Dante's headquarters to leave. Even if she created a portal, there was a faint chance that even the jewel could solve the riddles placed on the walls of Dante's personal chambers. They were personal to him only. She had walked in but was certain this was a one way doorway. If you dared to enter Dante's chambers without his knowledge, you were not expected to leave. His enchantments were unknown and hard to crack.

She was now staring at the sleeping form of Dante Ronas at the other side of the chambers. Only this did not look like the kind sleeping observed about everyone else. In case of Dante, even his unconscious form looked as though he was scheming in his mind. The waves of coldness and hate radiated off him as strongly as if he was awake.

Something about his vulnerable sleeping form called to her. Athena walked cautiously towards the bed whilst her shield was protecting her and keeping the jewel in her arms safe. As she got close and stood in front of Dante's bed, she was struck by dread. Dante smiled. His eyes were closed but Dante was awake. There was no doubt. As she tried to retreat and walk backwards, she saw within seconds Dante stood up and was smirking while staring at her intensly.

Dante laughed; " Hello my love. I have been expecting you to visit me again. But I must admit, I did not expect you to break into my room. Seriously love? Is this the length you are willing to take to see me.. Tsk Tsk. Athena, I see you can't get enough of me. But honey next time try knocking. My security system does not treat intruders kindly. I had to disable some of the spells when i felt you were close. It seems like you have not come empty handed either. You have brought me a present. Interesting. May I take a look." He gestured with his arms to take the jewel.

Athena was now alarmed. She had her shield up and the jewel could help keep Dante at any distance she wanted but still Dante's look of confidence unsettled her. She started taking steps backwards away from him. " Dante. I actually did not come here by choice. I am here on a mission and if it wasn't for my obligation to my duties, I would have never stepped foot here. You are a heartless man who does not know the meaning of compassion and affection. If your chest was not rising and falling as you were breathing as I was watching you sleep, I would have been certain you have no heart. You are...." Then Athena noticed her back just hit the same desk where Dante had forced her into a make out session only a few hours ago. The memory made her blush.

Dante smirked " I see, you still remember our moment back there. If you want more all you have to do is ask. You didn't have to bring me some blood red diamond as present to get me to kiss you. What do you say, hand over my present and we will talk."

Athena narrowed her eyes " You would never get your hands on this. Keep away or I will make you. Like I said I am only doing my duty. Once my mission is accomplished I would be taking my leave. And no. This diamond is not for you."

Dante lifted his right hand and held it on his heart. He spoke playfully " You just broke my heart. Did you just say " your mission"? So tell me why do I get the feeling that what you were meant to say is "our mission". I can feel some of your healer buddies are close. You are not really thinking about being victorious today. Are you? You have dragged your friends here and risking them getting hurt. That is very unlike you to put others in danger like this. You healers would soon learn the hard way not to mess with things that do not concern you." As though Dante looked bored, he walked around Athena and went to take a seat on the chair behind his desk.