170. Torn By His Love

After Athena returned from seeing Aretha, she entered the castle and expected to see Dante at the door ambushing her with his kisses as he did every time she stepped foot outside and returned late. But she felt relieved to feel Dante far away. He was still in his meeting with Octavian.

Athena decided to take a walk in the gardens. As she circled the red lake she found Demetrious sitting on a rock looking into the distance. Athena didn't like seeing Demetrious like this at all. He looked broken. His eyes had hardly any spark in them. He didn't even acknowledge her approaching him and sitting next to him and kept his stare into distance.

Athena spoke softly " Demetrious ...."

Demetrious closed his eyes and took a deep breath " I can feel her presence vaguely around you. I can tell you have been to see her. Thank you for making me get a feel of her presence."

Athena spoke " Look Demetrious. We need to talk." She then teleported them both out of the castle and onto a rooftop of a building in the centre if the capital.

Demetrious took steps away from Athena and sharply spoke " We dont need to talk. We really don't. Save it Athena. If you want to tell me to stop feeling sorry for myself, just don't. You don't know how I feel."

Athena smiled sadly " I am sorry Demetrious about what you are going through. I really am. I do actually want to remind you that life goes on. You have to start living. You are suffering all alone in your room most of the time. You must talk to other people too. Try to keep yourself occupied somehow ...."

Demetrious looked away "I know. I know. I should distract myself to forget the pain. That's what every one says. I am tired of hearing it. It's funny how I used to hate to go to palace gatherings. I would have given anything not to go to any events held at the palace but now I would give anything to be allowed to go since that's where my beloved is."

Athena sighed " The most important thing is that she is doing well. Look at me Demetrious. You can't sit in one place feeling sorry for yourself."

Denetrious laughed bitterly and spoke " And you are telling me you are not doing the same?"

Athena whispered " Demetrious .... I ...."

Demetrious turned to Athena with his void of emotion pair of eyes that once used to spark with joy and hope. He spoke " You let him take her down that cell and torture her. You did nothing. How can you even act like nothing's happened. How can you still love him and stay here at this castle with no resistance after what he has done. He took over the world, he imprisoned people, he tortured them, he destroyed people's lives as they knew it, he took away their identity, he shoved his Ronas era laws and culture down every body's throat except Alaskans of course. But what did you do?"

Athena spoke " I fought with everything I had."

Denetrious spoke " Dont lie to me. I know you could do much more but you refused to."

Athena's expression hardened " What do you know about me? What do you know about what I could do and couldn't do? I did everything into power. I tried hard to defeat him."

Denetrious spoke " You obviously didn't fight hard enough because you surrendered."

Athena spoke " To avoid blood shed. I had to. Dante was going to take out his frustration on the whole world if I continued to resist him."

Demetrious spoke " He took over the world. It couldn't get any worse than this."

Athena spoke " But it could. I know Dante. I know he wasn't going to put up with my resistance any longer. If I hadn't given up, millions would have been massacred. He gave ordered of capture not massacre. If I hadn't given in he would have reversed it."