26. Fearing For The Beloved

As Edwin was trying to pretend to be enjoying Marcus's and his mother's company at the dinner table, he felt the strange presence of many individuals in their main hall. By the looks of it, Marcus and Alessia felt it too as they stopped eating and looked stunned. Who could be letting themselves into their mansion without prior notice. Whoever they were, they must have had a death wish if they were knowingly entering Alessia's home unannounced. It was like jumping into a dragon's cage.

Suddenly about 5 enforcers entered their dining room and all bent forward bowing to show respect.

Alessia sounded angry now." What is the meaning of this? Storming my home like this when I am trying to have a peaceful meal with my family. Explain to me Lumina, why are you here? You are the head enforcer of this group and responsible for this nonsense, so tell me what's happening before I lose my patience."

As Lumina looked up and Saw Alessia's angry eyes, she almost forgot her words. She started shaking and swallowed hard at Alessia's outburst. She knew, she only had once chance to speak before Alessia was going to strike so she tried to explain her mission in detail as clearly as possible "Please forgive us. We have been ordered to search all homes tonight on the orders of Flora. There have been some individuals who were spotted not very far from here breaking martial law. When they were spotted by the enforcers, they were asked to lay face down on the ground and surrender. But they did not comply and resisted arrest. They even dared to confront our enforcers and injure them quite badly. We apologise for our disturbance. We have no choice. The orders do not exempt any home. I am ........"

Alessia shook her head and spoke with total disapproval " I cant believe this . you could have knocked on my door. But, no, You felt free coming in or rather breaking in. So since you felt like it to drop by so rudely then how come I see no more than 4 of your enforcers. Why not ambush my home with your whole force? Where are your minions then."

Lumina was sounding as though she was becoming more and more intimidated now "I apologise. But my orders are to use surprise visits as an advantage and not let any resident out of sight upon arrival. I am simply here to ask for permission to bring my team of 30 fighters to search your mansion. They are waiting outside expecting instructions. We need at least 1 hour to search all the rooms and the servant headquarters in your basement. We are aware that you only allow your servants to come to the surface for their chores at night time but we have to take them outside your mansion and surround them while we search. However you may choose to remain in this room if you wish."

Alessia rolled her eyes "why wasn't I informed about this. Of course, I am now mostly counted as a protected senior enforcer so I am exempt from operations that threaten my health. Of course. Tanya made that point clear the last time we had a meeting. Very well, you may begin your search. I will make sure I have a word with the Tracking and assassination division to get me out of this status."

Edwin knew the hidden meaning behind Alessia's words. Surely she knew this order was from a much higher power. She had to talk to Lady Leona directly if she wanted a change in status. He also knew there was no way she was going to be given any tasks like chasing dangerous outlaws and fugitives. The only time she could do any thing close to this mission was if a commander was there to protect her. In a way this made Edwin nervous. What if she asked him to accompany her to volunteer for aiding the search.

"Thank you for approving of the mission. There are enough night watch forces at the moment that emergency forces are not to be disturbed otherwise surely Flora would have personally informed you herself. If you excuse me I have to call my enforcers. I am required to leave one enforcer for supervision. My apologies, but nobody is allowed to leave the room."

Marcus frowned "But I have a night pass personally issued by Alexander as acting body for Xavier, that allows me to make my way home after supper."