Caged Bird - Neji's Story

Reina's View

"Stop already," Neji ordered. "It'll be the same even if you fight more than this. I don't have a grudge particularly against you."

Naruto choked out a laugh, "S-Shut up. Even if you say so, I have something against you." Naruto said.

"What are you talking about?" Neji asked, confusion lacing his words.

"Why? Here you're this strong... Why did you, with a look like you've seen through it all, go after Hinata mentally who was trying so hard?" Naruto asked, glaring at Neji.

"It has nothing to do with you." Neji stated simply.

I clicked my tongue. Were all the Hyuga's just like Neji? No, no, they couldn't be like him. After all, Hinata is really shy and keeps most things to herself from what I've been able to see.

"Mocking Hinata, selfishly labeling her as a failure as you please. Head family, branch family... I don't know what happened to you, but I won't forgive the jerk who would call another person a failure." Naruto exclaimed. I smirked at this.

"Okay, fine. If you insist I'll tell you about the Hyuga's destiny of hatred." I raised my eyebrows at what Neji just said. What was this destiny of hatred? "In the Hyuga head family, there's a secret Ninjutsu that's been passed on from generation to generation. That is the Curse Mark Arts."

"Curse Mark Arts?" Naruto asked.

In my mind, when I heard Curse Mark Acts, I immediately thought back to Orochimaru and what he did to Sasuke.

"The Curse Mark represents a bird in a cage and it's a mark of those who are bound to a destiny they can't escape," Neji said, reaching behind his head to release his headband. I watched in curiosity. Neji pulled off his headband and let his hand fall to his side. It revealed the marking on his forehead that was hidden behind his headband. It was a green 'X' with two green lines on either side of it.

The marking that he had was similar to what Sasuke was given by Orochimaru. It was another curse mark. It has some sort of power in it, good or bad, but that didn't mean it couldn't have the same effects on Neji that it did in Sasuke.

"One day when I was fours years old, this accursed mark was inscribed on my forehead with the Curse Mark Acts. A large ceremony was held in the Village Hidden in the Leaves on that day. It was also the day when the head Ninja of the Land of Lightning, the land that the Leaf had fought with for many years, came for the conclusion of the allied treaty. However, there was one clan who didn't attend the ceremony that was attended by everyone else, from Leaf Jonin to Genin. It was the Hyuga clan. And it's because that day was the day of hope when the head family heir was to turn three. Miss Hinata's third birthday!" Neji explained, emphasizing when he mentioned that it had also been Hinata's birthday. He looked up in the stands most likely at someone who belonged in his clan, or the person he was thinking about the entire time he was explaining this to us. "My father, Hizashi Hyuga, and Miss Hinata's father who was there, Lord Hiashi Hyuga, were twin brothers. However, Miss Hinata's father, Lord Hiashi, is the eldest son of the head family born into this world first. And my father who was the second son is a member of the branch family."

I continued to listen into his story, mesmerized by all that he was put through because he was considered a part of the branch family of the Hyuga's. All of this was shocking. The Village Hidden in the Leaves was full of secrets, wasn't it?

"When the head family heir grew and became three years old, I had the Curse Mark imprinted on me and I became the bird in the cage. And became the Hyuga branch family." Neji added.

"Why is it necessary to do something like that?" Naruto asked Neji. "Why separate into a head family and a branch family? What does that weird mark mean?"

Neji glared at Naruto. "The mark on my forehead isn't just a decoration. This Curse Mark is the absolute fear called death so to speak, that was given to the branch family by the head family. The Secret Sign that the head family members form easily destroys the cerebral nerves of those in the branch family. Of course, killing is easy. And this mark only goes away at the time of death. Sealing away the power of the Byakugan. The Hyuga family is the clan that possesses the most distinctive Kekkei Genkai. There's no end to those who target the secret of that distinctive power. In other words, this Curse Mark keeps the branch family alive only to protect the head family and does not allow disobedience. It's an effective system created to defend for eternity the Kekkei Genkai called Byakugan. And then, the incident occurred. " He went on.

Neji went silent for a bit. I leaned in, waiting to hear what Neji was going to say next.

"My father was killed by the head family." He said. Neji then went on explaining how Hinata had almost been kidnapped while she was younger by the head Ninja of the Land of Lightning who had came to the Leaf before to form the allied treaty. "Other than dying, there is no other way to escape this accursed Curse Mark. Even though they were twins with nearly equal power, their destinies were already set by who was born first and born later. And then this match... Your destiny was decided at the point when I became your opponent."

I was astonished by all of that. Neji went through a lot. His clan was pretty selfish by how they used their branch family to keep their main branch safe and sound. Sasuke's clan was killed off because of his brother. I can't believe I thought this Village was the best Village in the world when I first came here. It's somewhat similar to my own with all the problems it seems to have with the clans inside of it. Some clans were all right, but you always had those who were power hungry or corrupt. I furrowed my eyebrows together. Well, I guess we all do learn something new everyday.

"Your destiny is to lose to me for sure." Neji said.

"You don't know until you try!" Naruto objected.

Neji placed his headband back on his forehead.

"Your father was killed a long time ago and I don't know the extent of the pain you've felt, but it's a huge mistake for you to think that has determined your entire destiny!" Naruto shouted, breathing heavily.

"You're hopeless..." Neji stated as he activated his Byakugan and ran towards Naruto.

I winced when Neji's palm was slammed against Naruto's stomach, sending him back once again.

"Proctor, it's over." Neji said

"You failure."