Genius or Idiot? - Unexpected Turn of Events

Reina's P.O.V.

I glanced back down at Shika who was holding his hands together to form this sort of box. Naruto was also staring at him pretty intensely, almost like he was trying to figure out Shika's next move. Not even a few minutes later, Shika broke the little square he was making and opened his eyes. I narrowed my eyes and examined him, waiting to see what making that little box with his hands did for him.

Temari noticed right away, "Looks you finally have some fighting spirit in you now..." Temari chuckled with a smirk plastered on her face. She reached back with her fan, and then used it to blow a huge gust of wind at Shika.

Shika covered his face and ran for cover, but what I had noticed is that he had a kunai in his hand.

"It's pointless to hide!" Temari shouted at Shika as he ran for cover from the gust of wind she had created with her fan.  

The trees shook madly with the wind she had stirred up, and Shika really wasn't able to do much more but run and hide. This went on for a good few minutes before Temari finally lost her patience. 

She looked around the arena and glared. "How much longer are you going to hide? Cut it out already!" She shouted, annoyance lacing her tone as she blew another gust of wind with her fan. Though this time, she created a large cloud of smoke. And from the smoke came a kunai, heading straight towards her at a very high speed. 

She blocked the kunai with her fan, and Shika's shadow appeared from beyond the smoke, heading towards Temari. I raised an eyebrow, wondering why Shika would try that move again when it didn't work the first time. 'How would it reach her now? Did he move closer? Is that how his shadow possession thing works?' I wondered, peering down at the battle. It seems like Temari was thinking the same thing I was, because she stood there behind the line she had drawn with her fan with a cocky smirk on her face. 

But to our surprise, Shika's shadow went beyond the line, shocking everyone. Temari jumped back with her eyes wide open. I guess she was surprised on how he passed the line she had made with her fan quite significantly.

"You catch on well!" Shika shouted over to Temari.

Temari then went onto pointing out how Shika was merely waiting for the sun to go down. I grinned. I was finally starting to understand the strategy he was coming up with. I crossed my arms as a smirk grew on my lips.

"That's my boy!" I shouted proudly. I then realized that despite Shika having this whole new strategy with the sun setting, he still managed to miss the attack. "Hmm, maybe he was just testing it out..?"

"I don't know about that, dattebayo." Natuto muttered out with the stupidest face ever. He looked so confused as he stared down at Shika. "Maybe Shikamaru doesn't want to fight?"

I rolled my eyes, "I know he seems lazy and all, but put a little faith into him, baka!" I scolded and poked his side.

Naruto grumbled in annoyance and decided to then scoot a few inches further away from me. I stuck my tongue out, right as my attention was taken back to the fight by Kankuro shouting.

"Temari! Above you!"

I looked up into the sky to see what all the fuss was about. Shika's jacket was floating in the air and holding one of his kunai. I narrowed my eyes until I slowly realized what this meant.

"Shika, you genius!" I gasped in awe.

"A shadow within a shadow..." Choji added, munching away on his third bag of chips.

Temari gasped in shock and threw herself back to avoid Shika's shadow from getting any closer to her. Temari then started to hop around the arena to avoid his jutsu at all costs. It was quite amusing to see her do this. I snickered.

I elbowed Naruto, "Doesn't she remind you of a bunny?" I mused.

Naruto grinned, "I can see that, dattebayo!" He shouted in glee.

Ino, who happened to be near us, hit the top of ours head. "You two need to shut up and pay attention to his battle!" She snapped.

I threw her a quick glare and crossed my arms, this time paying close attention the battle below us. "Whatever..."

Ultimately, his shadow didn't reach Temari with that small trick he had come up with quickly. It was really impressive to say the least, but it really didn't matter if he failed over and over again. The sun would keep setting and Shika would have an ever bigger advantage than before. The more time she takes running around from his attacks will lead to her downfall.

Temari slammed her giant fan into the ground and crouched behind it as soon as she managed to get a safe enough distance away from the shadow. She seemed to be thinking of a diversion to throw Shika off. I frowned. I know Shika is smart and he knows his way around tactics, but would he really be able to beat her? She destroyed Tenten like nothing and she was a weapon expert. I was starting to get worried about Shika. I wanted him to pass and become a Chūnin.

Temari started to make some hand signs. I watched her closely. What was her next move? But before she could finish, she stopped abruptly.

"What happened? Did she forget the handsigns to the jutsu?" I pointed out. I was dumbfounded.

"Finally... Shadow Possession was a success!" Shika stated with a small smirk on his face.

My eyes widened. No way! Shika did it! Shika then explained how he managed to trap Temari with his shadow by allowing her to look over her shoulder, where his shadow had made it's way through a hole in the ground. Temari was shocked.

"Wait..." I mumbled.

"I know what you're thinking, Reina-chan! That's the hole I made!" He exclaimed proudly.

I grinned, "Naruto you baka! You did it! Shika won!" I cheered and gave Naruto a high five for unintentionally leading Shika to victory.

Imagine if that hole hadn't been there. Shika would have had much more of a rough time than he was having right now. I shook my head. He would have waved a white flag from the start. Shika started to walk towards Temari, and Temari did the same as she was being controlled by his jutsu. We cheered.

"Yes! You did it!" Naruto yelled cheerfully.

"Go! Shikamaru!" Ino shouted.

Both Temari and Shika put their hands in the air. We waited patiently for what would happen next.

Shika tilted his head to the side and sighed, "Good grief... I give up!"

My eyes widened. Choji chewed his chips like a mad man. Naruto gasped and Ino's jaw dropped.

"NANI?!" The entire crowd chorused.

I slammed my head against the stone ledge of the arena.

What the hell.