13.

Harry watched Nora strut away from him, towards the bathroom and he smiled to himself. He had gotten incredibly lucky. Just as he heard the water from the shower turn on, his phone began buzzing on the nightstand. Evelyn. "Hello?"

"A note? A fucking note, Harry?" He could hear the tears in her voice.

"Eve, I needed to get away for a few days."

"So, you go home. Go stay with your family don't fly across the ocean and leave the fucking country!"

"I wanted to give you space to pack your things. We both need that."

"I don't though! I didn't want you to go. I wanted you to fight for me, Harry. I wanted you to tell me that you couldn't live without me, or that you still love me. I just wanted you to tell me that. I need to hear that, not a scribbled note saying take as long as you need to get your things out of my house."

"Evelyn. I am so, so sorry, okay? I'm sorry that I can't be the man you need—"

"Don't you get it? You are, Harry! I still love you, so much. I love you and I don't want to be without you. I don't want that."

"Do you think I wanted you to push me away? Do you think I wanted this?" He began to get angry. "I didn't fucking want this, Evelyn! I didn't want to lose you. But you gave me no choice. You pushed me away, it's like you were trying to distance yourself from me."

"I wasn't—I never wanted that! God, Harry...do you know how it felt the night you walked out?" He knew she was crying at this point. "It felt like...like my insides were filled with needles and glass and it hurts—it still hurts, Harry."

"I don't know what you want me to say, Eve."

"Say you'll come back. Come back and we'll figure things out. I'll move back into my place, but at least...I don't know, we can try, Harry. We're worth fighting for." Harry shook his head, feeling worse than he'd ever felt. He loved her once. He did, but he couldn't go back. Not again.

"Evelyn, I'm sorry. I just...I can't." His voice cracked as he rejected her desperate pleads. It hurt him, it really did hurt him.

"Why? Jesus, just tell me why." She sobbed, and his heart ached for her and what she used to mean to him.

"We both...it's time for us to move on. You need to move on from me, Eve." She was quiet for a few seconds.

"You've met someone haven't you?"

"Eve—"

"Haven't you?!" She screamed, loudly.

"I've just...I've moved on."

"Were you seeing her when we were still together?"

"What do you think?"

"I don't bloody know what to think! I want to believe that your still the man that I love so much, but I don't know."

"I wouldn't do that. I'd never do that to you, or to anybody, for that matter."

"I want to believe you..."

"Then believe me. You know me, Evelyn. You know I'm not that guy."

"But there is someone...?" Harry sighed.

"There is. I'm telling you that because I respect you, and I still care about you."

"Did you meet her while we were together? Or have you known her?"

"Evelyn..."

"Please, just...just tell me."

"I met her recently."