104.

104.

Harry.

"I think mum is seeing someone." Gemma gingerly sips her wine as I try not to choke mine back up, and Nora gasps.

"You're kidding!" My wife says, clearly very interested in hearing more about this.

"I'm serious...she's been so odd lately! She's all secretive and she smiles at her phone and whispers when she's on a call! I can't think of anything else that it could be!"

"Who could she be talking to, Gem? I don't believe you." I shake my head, "Mum's had boyfriends before, she's dated people, but not after Robin...I can't see her loving anyone again."

"But what if she finds love again? And if not love, then happiness?" Nora rubs my thigh, soothingly.

"It's like my dad...I know he'll never love anyone like he loved my mom, but if he found happiness in a companion, then I'd feel so much ease, you know?"

"She's lonely, Har. Or she has been..." I sigh.

"You really think she's seeing someone?"

"Well, I don't see her everyday, but if she's not seeing someone, she's talking to someone."

"Gem?" Michal pops his head in, Robin out cold in his arms. "We should get home, love." My sister swallows down the last of her wine and stands up.

"Michal, are they all asleep?" Nora asks. After Gem and Michal moved to Holmes Chapel, Gem's bedroom was turned into the kids room.

"Yeah, they're out." I squeeze Nora's knee and we both stand up. Time for bed. We say our quick goodbyes, knowing they'll be over first thing in the morning, then she and I trudge to the guest room.

"You're over-analyzing, aren't you?" Nora assumes correctly as we pull back the bed sheets and the comforter.

"I just...after my dad, it was only Robin—yeah, were there brief stints of dating, I think so...but after Robin..."

"I know, honey." And I know she does. If anyone knew, it was my wife. "But Gem's right. I think she might be really lonely, and we're all off, living our lives...she deserves to find some sort of personal happiness, don't you think?" I climb underneath the covers and she sidles up against me, but I remain silent. "I mean...if you were in her shoes, I'd want you to be happy—"

"Don't...you even begin with that rubbish, Nora." I warn her.

"No, I'm serious. We're not Noah and Allie from The Notebook. One of us is most likely going to go before the other and I think we should be able to try and find happiness elsewhere."

"I don't say this often, Nora, I really don't and I think I'll regret it immediately...but shut up. Seriously, shut up."

"Oh, stop it. Be real for a minute—" I can't help but feel anger boil up inside of me.

"No, I'm being very real. I'm not going to waste a second thinking about that. I absolutely cannot even fathom...no. I don't think I'm being unreasonable either."

"Well, if I go first, I want you to be happy."

"Shut up, Nor." I clip, growing impatient. Suddenly, this conversation has gotten too unbearable. Not that it was ever bearable.

"Oh my god, fine." We're both quiet for a few moments.

"I can't think about it." I continue to stare up at the ceiling, but I feel her gaze as she watches me closely. "Not being with you...I can't think about that."

"It's life though, baby...and I'm not trying to be dramatic, I just think it's something that should be touched upon."

"I physically cannot touch upon that."

"Okay—alright. Sorry I brought it up." Another silence passes, and towards the end, I let my fingertips graze her soft skin beneath her sweater.

"There will never...ever be anyone else. I mean that. And that's all I'm going to say."

"Say more, please." She quietly begs.

"No."

"Please..." I sigh.

"If...by some cruel, unfair and utterly horrendous fate...you go first, I will not ever, ever look to someone else for comfort. I won't see anyone else. I have seen you since the very first moment that I met you and I will never see another human being again."

"What if he or she's not human?" I manage to laugh at this.

"Then you can rest easy, knowing that my new alien love and I have found happiness." I knew this was the humor she was looking for, and the sound of her laugh gave me comfort and joy. I let my lips linger on her forehead and I feel her lean in closer. "You...are my entire world. You are my purpose, Nora. I'll never look elsewhere."

"Realistically, I don't think I could ever find even a shred of happiness with someone else." She says, her words vibrating against my sternum. "I love you too fiercely...too wildly."

"I love you infinitely."

"I love you infinitely." She counters, eyes piercing my own. "And I am so lucky to have you."

"Yes, so please, my love...let's not talk about the future when - if we're not together, okay? Not for a long time, please."

"Fine." She hums and snuggles closer.

"Goodnight, angel."

"Goodnight, Harry Styles."