41.

A couple of minutes after Harry went upstairs to shower, Nora finished drying herself off and she grabbed a beer from the refrigerator. Just as she did so, there was a knock on the door. She assumed it was someone Harry knew well enough, someone who knew the gate code, so she didn't think twice about opening it. However, the frowning face on the other side of the large steel door took her by surprise. Evelyn's frown turns into a full blown scowl as she looks a bikini-clad Nora up and down.

"This is how you answer his door?" She steps inside and past the borderline stunned and very confused ex-model. Nora shakes her head. "Classy."

"What are you doing here, Evelyn?"

"Picking up the last of my things. I'm here in L.A for a week and this is the only time I could swing by."

"Alright then." Nora closes the door and crosses her arms. "How are you?"

"I'm doing just fine, Nora. Thank you for asking."

"I assume Harry doesn't know you were coming?"

"No. I didn't see the need in alerting him."

"Well, he put all your things in a box."

"Is he here?"

"He's in the shower."

"I can wait." Nora forces a smile. "So, I heard from my director that you've quit modeling?"

"Mhm, it's true."

"You didn't think you were good enough?" She laughs at Evelyn's obvious jab.

"No, no...I know that I'm good enough. I just don't see the point. I can make much better use of my time, doing something worthwhile...you know, something meaningful." Evelyn smiles bitterly back at her.

"I'm not sure I follow." Nora hears Harry's footsteps and she's thankful he'll soon be the buffer between the two.

"Baby—" He says before realizing who's standing in the entryway. "Evelyn, hi..."

"Harry, lovely to see you."

"Um...what are you doing here?"

"Oh, I came to visit with your lovely friend." He doesn't miss a beat.

"Girlfriend."

"I've just come for the last of my things."

"Well, I'll grab the box and you can be on your way." She ignores him.

"So, Nora...what are you going to do now? What's your plan?"

"I haven't decided yet."

"Well, you're the talk of the community. Ungrateful is the word I've heard mostly..."

"My mom died, actually. A couple of weeks ago and since then...modeling just doesn't seem very important. There are better things, better careers...I want a job that I can be proud of—that my mom would have been proud of." Harry watches her with a doting smile on his face. "I know that I could have made it very far as a model. I certainly have what it takes. I've got the face and I've got the body...but I don't have the need for attention and money, at least not anymore."

"Of course not. Not now that you've got this one financially supporting you, you've got nothing to worry about."

"Evelyn—" He begins to protest.

"That is, until he spots a younger, prettier, model version of you."

"You are way out of line here!" Nora simply smiles at her, and stays quiet for the time being. Harry hurries to the coat closet and pulls the box out. He hands it to her abruptly. "There. That's all of it."

"I'll walk you to the door." Harry stays far enough away, though he can still hear what's being said between them.

"Oh, there's no need. I was here when he bought this house, I know my way around." Nora walks with her anyway and opens up the door.

"I am sorry that he left you for me, but I'm not sorry that he fell in love with me. I'm not sorry for loving him back, and I'm not sorry that you couldn't make him happy, but I do hope you find happiness somewhere, Evelyn. Everyone deserves what Harry and I have." Her poker face disappears and Nora can see the bitterness in her eyes as she begins to close the door behind her. "Take care of yourself." Harry simply stands there. Unsure of what he ever did to deserve Nora Lynn Dodson. She handled herself with such grace and maturity, while Evelyn looked foolish and completely immature. But then again, Nora was graceful and mature in all aspects of her life, not just this one instance.

"I'm so sorry that she acted that way." Nora slides her hands around his torso.

"Hey, I've been through worse situations." He brushes her chlorinated hair away from her face.

"You know that what she said, about me finding someone else—"

"Don't even dignify that with a response, okay? I know you. I..know..you, Harry. I know who you are and I know how much you love me. I don't worry about that for a second."

"You handled yourself beautifully, baby."

"I know that she's just acting that way because her heart is broken. I'm sure she still loves you, and that's okay. I don't really take it personally. I mean...I'm the winner here, obviously." He grins, goofily.

"Obviously."

"And how could she not still love you? If it were me...fuck, I don't think I'd ever truly be over you."

"I don't want that to ever be the case." She kisses his jawline.

"Neither do I." Harry gazes down at her and she gazes up at him.

"Are you hungry?"

"Starved."

"What would you like to do for dinner?"

"I've been craving In-N-Out for like...years."

"In-N-Out it is then." He picks her up and spins her around in his arms and he's never been more sure of her and their relationship.