77.

Monday, January 9th 2023 — Nora

Lunchtime came quickly, but as I sat alone in my classroom, the minutes felt like days

Lunchtime came quickly, but as I sat alone in my classroom, the minutes felt like days. Knock, knock. Alex pokes his head in. "Hey..." I greet him, not totally enthusiastically.

"Mind if I come in?"

"Of course not." He sits down across from me.

"How are you?" I see right through this inquiry.

"I'm okay."

"So...yesterday—"

"It was...a minor panic attack. I'm fine, and I'm so sorry you had to see that."

"No, no, please don't apologize. I honestly wish I could have done more."

"Really, no one could have. Besides Harry, I was pretty much a lost cause for about fifteen minutes."

"That was crazy...I was—I was scared for you, Nora."

"Yeah, I think it was kind of an inevitable breakdown. I've been kind of stressed lately, so those photographers were the icing on the cake."

"Well, regardless of whether it was a build-up or an out of nowhere-breakdown, I'm so sorry that you had to go through that."

"It was pretty shitty." I say, laughing lightly. "But I'm okay. Thank you for asking."

"The seminar...that was fun, huh?" Again, I laugh.

"I've never heard of someone getting as drunk as you did...at a teacher conference." He covers his blushing face. "But I mean, hey...to each his own."

"Hey now...my girlfriend of four years dumped me because I couldn't ask her to marry me."

"You couldn't or you wouldn't? They're two entirely different things."

"Do I love her? Yes, of course I do. But...I just don't know if I see a future with her. I don't know if she's the one I want to mother my kids...or who I want to grow old with. I just don't know." I watch him for a moment and then he leans forward. "How did you know with Harry? How did the two of you meet?"