39.

It was quarter after seven a

It was quarter after seven a.m when Harry rings his mum. Nora had finally fallen asleep after crying herself into oblivion and he felt useless all the while. "Harry?" She answered, knowing the time.

"Nora's mum passed away tonight...well, this morning, I guess."

"Oh, goodness, no..."

"Around four, yeah."

"How is Nora? Oh my, that poor family..."

"I don't know what to do, mum...I don't know how to fix this."

"Darling, darling, you can't fix this. This is a different kind of wound...a different kind of pain that's not so easily healed." He begins to cry.

"Nora, mum...she's hurting so bad. I want to help her—I want to take it all away so she doesn't have to feel it..."

"I know you do, my love. I know. That's who you are, but you can't, you can only be there for her."

"That's not good enough...she's strong, she is. She's so strong, but I'm not sure she can make it through this. Her heart is broken, mum...she's broken."

"All you can do, Harry, is be her partner. It's going to be a very dark, very dismal period and I'm sure it won't be very pretty, but if you stand by her and support her regardless of what she does to push you away, then you'll both come out stronger."

"I hate to see her in pain."

"I know, love." She sighs, "It's very, very hard." He yawns loud enough for her to hear. "Have you gotten any rest at all, Harry Edward?"

"No, no...I just wanted to make sure Nora got to sleep. She hasn't stopped crying, so when she finally passed out, I called you." He says, "I wanted to hear your voice."

"Well, I'm glad you did. I love you so much, my sweet boy. I love you very much."

"I love you too, mum."

"Give Nora my love, will you? I'll call her later this week when everything isn't so crazy."

"Yeah, yeah, I will. Bye mum."

"Goodbye, darling. Get some sleep, yeah?"

"Yeah. Alright bye—bye." He hangs up and rubs at his overly exhausted face. His eyes sting from crying and from lack of sleep, so he walks over to the bed. Nora is in too deep a sleep to be woken up, but he's still careful as he climbs in beside her. He lays on his back for a while, looking up at the beautifully designed tin ceiling. He thinks about the coming days and weeks...months. How long will it take for Nora to heal? Will she heal? Will she push him away? Will she need him more than ever? He thinks about all of this before he slowly drifts into a nightmare-ridden slumber.

===

Two Weeks Later.